Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 03:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
It was the right thing to do.

A coach told me a story recently - he's getting his butt handed to him 40+ to zip to a much superior team. (We have a running clock after 35 points) He's been having problems with the official (a subpar replacement) on his sideline and decides to argue a pretty bad call. He's on the field talking with the white hat and the clock is still running. In his headphones, he hears his coaches telling him to stay out there because the clock is still running! The white hat says "Larry, the clock is still running. You want me to stop it?"

Well, they don't stop it - stand out there for two minutes just talking - the white hat moves the line judge to back judge - the game goes on and ends peacefully.

Game management.
There's a crew chief I'd be really thrilled to work for and someone, as a crew chief myself, I work hard NOT to emulate.

On the FIELD? Come on.

The four guys working with me are my PARTNERS.

The WH in your story threw the "sub-par replacement" under the bus. What does that make the WH?

Last edited by Rich; Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:55pm.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
There's a crew chief I'd be really thrilled to work for and someone, as a crew chief myself, I work hard NOT to emulate.

On the FIELD? Come on.

The four guys working with me are my PARTNERS.

The WH in your story threw the "sub-par replacement" under the bus. What does that make the WH?
That was my initial reaction too. But this was a "you had to be there" situation. It was the guy's first varsity game. He had blown several calls, had a few inadvertant whistles, was yelling at coaches, and threw the QB out for a comment that shouldn't have even drawn a flag (and here you miss the next game for getting tossed). I know the WH and he's a good one - I'm sure he didn't like doing it.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I like the discussion in this thread. I see that as officials there is a time where we are to be strict rules enforcers (in a close game) and other times when we are called upon to be good game managers (like when there is a blow out occuring). To be honest this is a concept for which I'm trying to find peace with...as a relatively new official.