The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

First a howler monkey and a partner siding with the coach and then tonight.

Girls Varsity tournament double header.

First game the defending state champions versus a scrapy well coached team. Both teams lost all their seniors from last year, but the defending champs have more going for them and win 75 to 37. A rout, but both teams played hard, and it was a clean game.

The second game, well....

Two REALLY bad teams, my partner and I have worked a lot of games together and we call a similar game, so we go out expecting to let them play...15 fouls, 5 held balls, and a 6 to 4 score after 5 minutes and we are in full reel them in mode. Double bonus both ways early 2nd quarter and they still won't stop fouling.

All 3 ball-handlers foul out for 1 team, the 2 big girls for the other team foul out. It's 40-39 with 30 seconds left, we get a pull up jumper to make it 41-40. The other team hit's a shot to make it 42-41 with 17 seconds left; a long pass gets stolen and we have a foul, the player hits the 2nd of 2 FTs to make it 43-41 with 10 second left.

A 3 pt shot goes long and a put back to tie the game rolls off at the horn.

If you just saw the scores you'd think the 43-41 game was the GOOD game, but I'll take that 75-37 game EVERY time.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Must be in the air tonight. I had a TERRIBLE game tonight, including way too many fouls to call, partner problems, the tossing of one coach, and a blow-out score.

Meantime, I want to hear about the howler monkey and partner siding with the coach. Is that in another post that I just missed?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Must be in the air tonight. I had a TERRIBLE game tonight, including way too many fouls to call, partner problems, the tossing of one coach, and a blow-out score.

Meantime, I want to hear about the howler monkey and partner siding with the coach. Is that in another post that I just missed?
Never mind. I see now. You HAVE had a tough week! Let's all hope our seasons get better before they get worse again.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Yep, in the, "My first coach of the season thread."

The best part was 99% of the coaches comments were directed at my partner.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

what a week!!!

After this first two weeks of the boys season here in MI. I have a real appreciation of the comments made in this forum about how coaches know only a certain percent of the rules. I don't go around talking about my knowledge of the rules. I continue to pick up more info each time I open this website. Anyway.....Last week JV boys from my hometown. Not that that makes a difference.... Close game 3rd qtr. Hometown boys lose ball OOB. My partner bounces ball to V1 for a endline throw-in. Prior to the toss IB V coach calls a T.O. I whistle the T O and report it. H coach says and I quote "Man he already tossed the ball in bounds." I walk up to him and ask "Since when can the team with the ball not call a time out?" He just turns around and goes back to the bench. OK same coach - different game - different location. His player has the ball in frontcourt closely guarded. My partner in clearly counting. She gets to five and whistles for the violation. He's yelling "He was ingauged" My partner looks at him like ...What the heck are you talking about coach??? I just shook my head. Third and last...This was our first big Class A (largest in MI)V boys game. Just the two of us. A1 has a throw in from there own baseline/endline. The throw is very near the division line. A2 controls ball - all 3 points in front court. Then pivots and his back foot goes across div. line. My partner calls Over & Back. This happened right in front of A's coach. The next dead ball I have to explain to the coach why it was called. Sorry this is so drawn out but sometimes it's hard to understand where these coaches are coming from. And this is just the first two weeks!!!!
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 10:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re: what a week!!!

I hear your pain, taw.

Sometimes I tell myself that the coach must have had a brain fart that he would complain about such an easy call. If we make a silly mistake here and there, they might make one too.

Quote:
Originally posted by that's a walk
"Since when can the team with the ball not call a time out?" He just turns around and goes back to the bench.
Hmm.... I might rethink a comment that starts with, "since when". To me, it's a bit deragatory (sp?). I prefer a statement such as, "Coach, a timeout can be called while holding the ball OB." His only out is to challenge your judgement about whether or not the ball was released on the throw-in. If he's that much of an doorknob to actually say that...
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Smile J R

Thanks. Duly noted......
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

This explains it all.

Quote:

Girls Varsity tournament double header.
No wonder you had a tough week.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

We have a school here that everyone gets excited to work because they really roll out the red carpet. Sodas, waters, and always great scooby snacks for the refs. BV game went by really without a hitch and we're downstairs, showered and eating. BV, BJV, AD and their Assistants ask if they can come in and eat also. We're fine with it and everyone is enjoying. BV coach asks if we'd mind explaining a couple of calls that he'd already yelled at us about up on the floor. After a brief explaination, he says in front of everyone; "you know, most of the time we have no idea what we're yelling about and we just make crap up on the fly". He also said; "98% of the refs do a great job and he can't believe we put up with their junk as much as we do".
We walked out with a whole new perspective on coaches.