Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
My first game this week

Hi guys,

as I posted earlier in this forum, I'm a first year official in football and baseball. During the begininng of the baseball season I posted a thread over there asking for quick pointers to keep in mind for my first game behind the plate. I have my first game ever this thursday, for this particular game I'm an umpire (as most of my games this season will be), and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers and things to keep in mind during my first time out.

thanks in advance,

Joe
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

1) See it before you call it.
2) Really ... see it before you call it. Get the number and be sure. No peripheral vision fouls.
3) Don't get caught up in the play - you can't see anything if you are in the middle of the action.
4) Don't get stuck focusing on the ball - 90% of the action is NEAR the ball, but not AT the ball - watch the area you're responsible for. Don't look up to watch a ball in flight - focus on the players.
5) Look good. You can stink your first several games, and if you look good doing it (meaning being dressed right, and not sloppily, hustling, and looking like you should be there), you'll be all right. And if you are PERFECT your first several games, but look like a slob doing it, all they'll remember is that you were a slob.
6) Watch the play for a good 3-4 seconds after the play is over. Don't focus too much on getting ready for the next play - there is usually plenty of time for that, and you might miss something extracurricular after the play.
7) Work with your partners, not against them.
8) Did I say see it before you call it?
9) Don't blow the whistle unnecessarily, or too early, or if you aren't sure the play is dead. If you can't see the ball, it might not be where you think it is. Remember - the play kills the play. Your whistle (except when you decide forward progress has been halted, or when the ballcarrier steps out of bounds and no one but you saw it) shouldn't be the thing that kills the play.
10) Don't mention to the coach that this is your first game. He'll eat you alive.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Good stuff from mcrowder. A few of my own:

Watch the game, don't watch for fouls.
Keep your eyes moving - prevents tunnel vision.
See it before you call it.
It's your first game, so the most important thing is to have fun (as it is in your next game, and every game after that).
Ask questions of your crew at halftime and after the game.
See the ball EVERY TIME before you blow the whistle.
As umpire, you probably don't have to blow the whistle - so don't. The wings will take care of the whistle.
And of the best lessons I ever learned was in a clinic this summer (as I'm going into my 24th season!) - don't complicate the game. You'll understand this better after a few seasons. But it means don't make complicated calls when a simple one will do. ie - receiver catches the ball just as he gets hit, the ball comes out - don't complicate it by ruling catch and fumble, just rule it incomplete.
And finally, see it before you call it. No guessing.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

I also should mention that this is going to be a 3-man crew, any extra suggestions?

joe
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
Hi guys,

as I posted earlier in this forum, I'm a first year official in football and baseball. During the begininng of the baseball season I posted a thread over there asking for quick pointers to keep in mind for my first game behind the plate. I have my first game ever this thursday, for this particular game I'm an umpire (as most of my games this season will be), and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers and things to keep in mind during my first time out.

thanks in advance,

Joe
1. Spit the whilstle out at the snap.

2. Don't blow it unless you have a snap infraction or false start. There is no reason for a U to blow a whislte on a scrimmage play. Use your voice: "It's over guys" etc.

3. NEVER signal touchdown. It's not your call.

4. Don't blow your whistle.

5. Spit the whistle out at the snap.

6. Tell the wingman you have his spot so he can resume what he is suppposed to do. Look at him and say "I've got your spot".

7. Don't be afraid to talk. Talk to the R, talk to the wings.

8. Spit the whistle out and don't blow it.

9. Go into the side zones to get the ball. There's no wall at the hashmarks.

10. If you think you see a hold, ask yourself, Is that a hold? If you ask yourself 3 times, it is, less than 3, it isn't.

11. If you're going to be a U for a long time, get a fingerwhistle.

12. Most importantly, have fun.

Welcome to the fraternity.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also should mention that this is going to be a 3-man crew, any extra suggestions?

joe
Now that's a different animal!!!!

Go to the NFHS website and review 3-man mechanics. Have a good discussion with the rest of the crew prior to the game to make sure you're all on the same page as far as mechanics and coverage of runs to the open side, passes, kick plays, etc.
Have your running shoes on.
Hustle - don't hurry.
You will have to blow your whistle in a 3-man crew - more important to see the ball before you blow it.
Remember to work wide - you have a lot of room to cover.
Talk to your association and encourage them to contact the league about using 4-man crews. 3-man can't cover today's game. Offer to take a pay cut, if necessary. It will pay off in the end.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

most games we do are 4 or 5 man, but this is a freshman game, so the school is not going to pay for four guys, crews will sometimes grab an extra guy and take a cut, which is worth it for me if I'm the U that day
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

On a lot of plays you'll have to be working an Umpire-Back Judge combo position. A lot of what you've learned about the Umpire position in 4- and 5-man crews goes out the window.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

So how did it go? 3-man is an awful way to learn, but at least you get to see a lot in one game.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 12:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMcCarthy
On a lot of plays you'll have to be working an Umpire-Back Judge combo position. A lot of what you've learned about the Umpire position in 4- and 5-man crews goes out the window.
When I lived in TN, we worked a R with 2 wings -- if the ball was downed in the side zone, the R would spot it. I still prefer this method for 3-man, although we take 5 to every game these days and won't accept an assignment unless they pay for at least 4.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

not TOO bad

first of all, all of the training that the apprentices in my area are given is in 4 man mechanics. Because of that, I was really unprepared for the sheer amount of ground that the U has to cover in 3man. but I did the best I could and ran a WHOLE LOT. just a couple of little problems plagued me other than that. second play of the game, my flag fell out of my back pocket. So after that I had it stuffed too far down, and I missed flagging two face masks because I couldn't get my flag out quickly enough, but luckily the R flagged both also. No IWs, but that doesn't mean it won't happen soon.

moving into the second half, I felt a lot more comfortable taking spots and moving quickly into the play, however pacing off penalties caused a little concern. even for something as simple as a five yard penalty after 1 and 10, I was hoping that the Linesman would move to the five yard spot on the chains and help me out, however that never happened.

overall, I was completely overwhelmed by how much I was responsible to watch over, it will get better, but damn. my next game is tomorrow, I'm the U in a four man JV game.

Joe
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

joe

Wow. This had not appeared when I responded.

My response was for 4- and 5-man. Didn't know anybody used 3-man or 3-man with a U anymore.

We use 3-man for 5-6 yr old PW Flag only. We use an R/HL/LJ formation.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA
Wow. This had not appeared when I responded.

My response was for 4- and 5-man. Didn't know anybody used 3-man or 3-man with a U anymore.

We use 3-man for 5-6 yr old PW Flag only. We use an R/HL/LJ formation.
I would actually prefer this formation, it seems really hard to break to the sideline to cover it. I did move to the wing for any goal line plays or try's, this was just something that was suggested by the R.

Joe
Old Sat Sep 09, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

My association uses an R and 2 wings for 3 man. The NFHS mechanics book has not listed 3 man since 1999, my first year. I wonder if they realized it may not be the best to use R/U/L anymore. Most games with 3 man are JH however today I had a JV game with only 3 man.