The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 03:09pm
I Bleed Crimson

Our biggest issue with the sidelines has been a "statistician." We have one team that has an adult that keeps stats. Yet he often doubles as a coach. Frequently he yells out advice to his team. Every year this team tries that, and every year they get a sideline warning.

Their response? "He's just the statistician." We reply, "Then tell him to keep his coaching to himself."

The first flag and a SW usually puts an end to their ploy. Yet every year (I'm going into my 8th year) we have to deal with these guys.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Just moved to LJ this year after 27 years of officiating. I have had no problems in my first 2 Varsity games this year. The "get back" coach did his job throughout the whole game. During the pregame meeting I stressed to the head coach that I do enforce the sideline rule and related that I work 2-3 feet off the sideline when the situation warrants. This gets them used to me being in the team box.

I agree with Rut that get back coaches are really unneecessary. Sideline control is my responsibility as an official. The key to me is the "get back" coaches will be as lenient as the L/LJ lets them be. The fact that teams have a designated get back coach is a reality and can be beneficial if you get a good one so we can concentrate more on action on the field. If they won't do their job then the sideline warning is due immediately, ie the first or second time they mess up.

As far as giving the warning in the pregame conference: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. The sideline warning can occur only after the game has started AND a team has violated the rule to be given the warning.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 04:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
As far as giving the warning in the pregame conference: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. The sideline warning can occur only after the game has started AND a team has violated the rule to be given the warning.
These were not “formal” warnings. These were letting coaches know that sideline decorum was an emphasis from our state. The Football Administrator who is also on the NF Football Committee wanted coaches off the sideline and he wanted this addressed directly with the coaches. Several officials came up with the philosophy to address it in the pre-game meeting (the official I got the idea from is a State Final Official and a State Clinician). It worked pretty much every time. We still used sideline warnings, but because our state made such a big deal out of coaches being on the field, I did what I felt was the best thing to do. I was just trying to let the coach know so he would not be surprised and try to make an issue while the game is going on. After a sideline warning (during the game) we did not have a debate. The coaches would believe we were serious.

This technique worked out very well. BTW, I received my very first HS playoff game (As in X officials for those Illinois Officials reading this post) largely because of the way I enforced the sidelines in a game I was being observed as a fill in to a State Final crew. I was convinced he was serious how the officials enforced this rule.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I need to do that, be a hardass in my next sophomore game.

I just can't for the life of me figure out why these guys have such short attention spans that they can't get that they need to stay off the field.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Sep 09, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy
Our biggest issue with the sidelines has been a "statistician." We have one team that has an adult that keeps stats. Yet he often doubles as a coach. Frequently he yells out advice to his team. Every year this team tries that, and every year they get a sideline warning.

Their response? "He's just the statistician." We reply, "Then tell him to keep his coaching to himself."

The first flag and a SW usually puts an end to their ploy. Yet every year (I'm going into my 8th year) we have to deal with these guys.
Consider anyone in the box a coach. Doctor, ball boy, principal, minister – if they are in the box, they are a coach. And they can have 3 of their choosing.

Some random thoughts in general. Talking about it in pre-game conference certainly sets the tone and makes enforcement during the game easier. Don’t continue reminding them, remind them once and give a sideline warning the next time. Send the message early. This will make some old heads cringe but our state has our wingmen turn and face the sideline after they release their spot. This is not intended as confrontational, but you would be surprised at how a simple glance at the team box works while returning to your position. It sends a message without having to say anything.

Consistency – It starts with your crew and next crew and every crew, the first week through the last week. Someone mentioned their state administration emphasized it. Our state has sent letters to every coach and official association emphasizing it. They have follow up with fines to schools that are guilty and suspensions of officiating crews that do not enforce it. That certainly encourages consistency!