The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:04pm

Mechanics with 10 players

This is kind of an open ended question but what do your crews do when faced with the situation when you only are counting 10 offensive players? I guess I'm particularly talking to the R and the two wings. Do any of you do anything different to make sure you count the 6 or 7 on the line? Does the R still stick a fist out (like he does when he counts 11) even knowing he only has 10 or do you do something else? This is 5-man.

Last edited by sj; Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 11:12pm.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
the referee on our crew gives us a thumbs down letting us know there is not enough. and as a line judge i just make sure that there only 3 in the backfield.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

As the R, I signal a thumbs down across my chest and confirm it with the U. I will actually count twice to make sure how many are out there on offense. Our wings will see the signal and check the number on the line vs. backfield.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

As Linesman, I always look to the R to make sure there are 11 on offense first. Because it's hard to count lineman as they approach the LOS from the L position, I always count the players off the LOS. If I have 4 off the LOS, then by default I must have 7 on the LOS. If there are more on the LOS than 7, then I start watching for ineligibles.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

The R and U will hold out an open hand instead of a fist. Once the offense lines up, the wings will count the linemen on their side of the snapper and give the appropriate signal for the wing accross the field to see. Our signals are: for 3 linemen touch the bill of the hat, 2 linemen hold up 2 fingers, 4 linemen hand on face. Add the numbers up plus the snapper and that's the number of linemen. It takes about a second to process it all.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

If you are counting what you are supposed to be counting ... men on the line ... then 10 doesn't matter. I know it's often taught to signal whether your receiver is on or off, but think about it --- does it matter? What really matters? And I know that some like to count who's off instead of who's on - but is that really right? (And in the mechanics with R, U, and L only - this DOES make the most sense and is the exception to what I say below).

Yes, it's hard to count the entire line, but in most mechanics, there are 2 of you to do it. Count your side of the center, and use whatever mechanics you've prediscussed with your partner to signal that number to him.

I have 3, he has 3, we're good. I have 4, he has 2, great. 2 and 4, fantastic. 1 and 5? Uh... what was my signal for five again?!?!?! ( )

But, I have 3, he has two, and BOTH of us flag simulataneously - a thing of beauty and a sign that your crew is working well together.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

In terms of counting the offense we (U & R) only extend an arm w/closed fist (a "punch") when A has 11 players. If A has any number less than 11 then we use open right hand folded across chest (open hand on shirt pocket).
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

I like Jason's idea about an open hand instead of a fist on the arm extended. I had a play last year where we missed a tackle that wasn't out there. I was HL, we had a hurry up offense and it was lower level, so we were getting everyone lined up. I missed the fact that there wasn't a tackle, counted 4 in the backfield, and we played on. I had two wide-outs on my side and couldn't fully see how many were in the "pit." The coach, 5 yards back, had a perfect view and saw it. So we (meaning I) just missed it.

I've had a question about this all offseason. With everything else the wings have to do, we can't always confirm 11 or on the field or see that 7 are on the line. If anyone has some suggestions here that would help, I'd love to hear them.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I like Jason's idea about an open hand instead of a fist on the arm extended. I had a play last year where we missed a tackle that wasn't out there. I was HL, we had a hurry up offense and it was lower level, so we were getting everyone lined up. I missed the fact that there wasn't a tackle, counted 4 in the backfield, and we played on. I had two wide-outs on my side and couldn't fully see how many were in the "pit." The coach, 5 yards back, had a perfect view and saw it. So we (meaning I) just missed it.

I've had a question about this all offseason. With everything else the wings have to do, we can't always confirm 11 or on the field or see that 7 are on the line. If anyone has some suggestions here that would help, I'd love to hear them.
See my suggestion about counting just the linemen on your side of snapper.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

My U and I will confirm 1 down with a thumb down across our chest. Our wings will see this also and we all will be counting backfield players to see if we have an IF. If for some reason my wings miss it, I'll have a flag down. All I need to see is my wings punching on or off to know if we are ok or not. The most important thing is SOMEONE has to have a flag on the ground.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

"The most important thing is SOMEONE has to have a flag on the ground."

I'd agree that as always the most important thing is that we get it right. As U if I've only got 10, and I'm looking across the line at a "full house" backfield then I've got a flag on the ground. This is especially important during a hurry-up since there is not a lot of time to get all of the counting mechanics done.

We can always fine tune the signals and mechanics but 1st priority is to get it right. It's a lot easier to pick up a flag then to explain why there was no flag on a illegal formation play that ended in a big gain or TD.