The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 27, 2006, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Byrnes/Glades game?

I caught a bit of the Byrnes (SC) vs. Glades (FL) high school game on ESPN Saturday. (Clearly the first game of the season - there were lots of flags.) Any of our usual suspects here happen to be on that one?
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
I caught a bit of the Byrnes (SC) vs. Glades (FL) high school game on ESPN Saturday. (Clearly the first game of the season - there were lots of flags.) Any of our usual suspects here happen to be on that one?
I watched and noticed what I think was a 3rd and 9. The crew has an offensive holding and a late hit on the WR attempting to catch a ball(incomplete pass) out of bounds. The mark off the 10 and then the 15 against B but left it 3rd and 4. Is this right in Fed ball? I would think should have been A 1st down.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickref872
I watched and noticed what I think was a 3rd and 9. The crew has an offensive holding and a late hit on the WR attempting to catch a ball(incomplete pass) out of bounds. The mark off the 10 and then the 15 against B but left it 3rd and 4. Is this right in Fed ball? I would think should have been A 1st down.
That is the correct ruling. Personal fouls do not grant automatic first downs in NFHS unless they are roughing (kicker, holder, snapper, passer). Since the late hit is a dead-ball foul, it doesn't create a double (offsetting) foul. This is another example where it is especially important to actually step off both fouls, since you don't end up where you started.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

OK then thanks for that. I am a long time NCAA Texas guy so this was funny for me to see.