The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 27, 2006, 10:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

First game...nice to be back

Very, very humid yesterday afternoon. I gave at least 2 scheduled water breaks per quarter (3 in the fourth quarter) and we only had to have one kid looked at cause he "just didn't look right" and he was cleared to return to the game.

The humidity is always a problem at the beginning of the season, but never more than when 2 very small schools play each other. The smaller of the two schools had at least 8 players playing both ways most of the game.

Anyhow, the game ended up 8-7. Visiting team put up their seven in the first quarter on a fumble return for a touchdown and an extra point that just cleared the uprights. Home team answered early in the fourth quarter on a run on a sustained drive. We took a water break after the TD (that's when the one player looked a little less than OK and I had the EMT check him out while we all took water) and the team came back with a pass over the middle that was caught after 2 deflections.

Sloppy, sloppy game. Lots of turnovers (at least 6-7) and one punt return for a TD called back on an IBB. But it was nice to get out there again.
Old Sun Aug 27, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

My first game was this past Friday. One team had an 11 point lead late in the fourth quarter and lost by three. Very humid but a breeze saved us. It felt great to be back on the field!
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Anyhow, the game ended up 8-7. Visiting team put up their seven in the first quarter on a fumble return for a touchdown and an extra point that just cleared the uprights. Home team answered early in the fourth quarter on a run on a sustained drive. We took a water break after the TD (that's when the one player looked a little less than OK and I had the EMT check him out while we all took water) and the team came back with a pass over the middle that was caught after 2 deflections.
I hope I'm not reading this correctly. Did you say that you took the water break between the touchdown and the try?
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 09:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
I hope I'm not reading this correctly. Did you say that you took the water break between the touchdown and the try?
Did you miss the part where I had an EMT check a player (that was glazed over and pale in the face) right after the TD was scored?

It was a 23 yard run and the player didn't look right -- it was caught by my line judge and I agreed that the player should be checked.

I went over myself and got the EMT and told the teams to get some water in the meantime. Once the EMT got to the player and he was off the field, we had the try.

Both coaches had nothing but praise, BTW, for how I managed this during the game.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I agree with sending him off to get checked.

Not sure I think it was fair for you to let the team take a break before this all-important, game-changing extra point... But I wasn't there, and you were.

Had 2 scrimmages Saturday - one at 9 am, the other at 6 pm. Both ran JV and then V, and both lasted about 4 hours. And here in Texas, it was over 100 from 9 am until about 8 pm.

The way they were rotating in and out, kids were getting plenty of breaks ... not so much for us. We had to take a couple of water breaks just for ourselves!

Nice to be back on the field.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I agree with sending him off to get checked.

Not sure I think it was fair for you to let the team take a break before this all-important, game-changing extra point... But I wasn't there, and you were.

Had 2 scrimmages Saturday - one at 9 am, the other at 6 pm. Both ran JV and then V, and both lasted about 4 hours. And here in Texas, it was over 100 from 9 am until about 8 pm.

The way they were rotating in and out, kids were getting plenty of breaks ... not so much for us. We had to take a couple of water breaks just for ourselves!

Nice to be back on the field.
I see your point, but I had to wait for the EMT as he came across the field and didn't exactly hurry. Seemed like as good a time as any for water and I didn't hesitate -- it gave the offense and defense equal time to prepare. I know it will seem like I'm adding details, but both benches asked if water would be OK there.

Friday afternoon a game was halted in the same area due to excessive humidity. Well, and the team was down 42-14 with 2:00 left in the third quarter.

Small schools, kids playing both ways, kids not in game shape yet, I'd just rather not risk it. Last season I was worried as a defensive lineman was throwing up on the field during a steamy week 1, but then his teammates said he does that EVERY game.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see your point, but I had to wait for the EMT as he came across the field and didn't exactly hurry. Seemed like as good a time as any for water and I didn't hesitate -- it gave the offense and defense equal time to prepare. I know it will seem like I'm adding details, but both benches asked if water would be OK there.

Friday afternoon a game was halted in the same area due to excessive humidity. Well, and the team was down 42-14 with 2:00 left in the third quarter.

Small schools, kids playing both ways, kids not in game shape yet, I'd just rather not risk it. Last season I was worried as a defensive lineman was throwing up on the field during a steamy week 1, but then his teammates said he does that EVERY game.
I've heard of stopping for heat ... but never humidity. Dang, we play in 95+ humidity sometimes.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've heard of stopping for heat ... but never humidity. Dang, we play in 95+ humidity sometimes.

I hope that you have a good attorney!
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
We just aren't used to it, I guess. I thought it was kinda funny that the game was stopped on Friday until I worked Saturday afternoon. It was only 80 degrees, but it was as muggy as I can remember.

When teams only have 18 players and have to play O, D, and special teams, I think it has quite a bit more impact.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

But its a dry heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
I think you missed his humor.....
I don't think I've ever held a game up based on humidity
I have for the combination of heat and humidity, 95 and 80% humidity can be a rough day
65 and 100% humidity might need a jacket
110 and 5% is sneaky situation because the sweat dries so fast you dont realize how much water your losing
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
I am sure you were at least partially kidding here ... but how could the referee have anything to do with humidity? Do you folks in other states have humidity meters on your belts? What is the limit where you are, and who's in charge of the decision?

Seems very odd to me - without heat, how would humidity be dangerous enough to stop play? Seems to me the heat is a much bigger problem (and those of you who have some knowledge in the area would know that if you have 95% humidity, you're not going to be in the 90's in temperature).
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am sure you were at least partially kidding here ... but how could the referee have anything to do with humidity? Do you folks in other states have humidity meters on your belts? What is the limit where you are, and who's in charge of the decision?

Seems very odd to me - without heat, how would humidity be dangerous enough to stop play? Seems to me the heat is a much bigger problem (and those of you who have some knowledge in the area would know that if you have 95% humidity, you're not going to be in the 90's in temperature).
I was joking, but with high amounts of humidity if pushes up the heat index and the players and officials will dehydrate much quicker and they will need more water.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you miss the part where I had an EMT check a player (that was glazed over and pale in the face) right after the TD was scored?

It was a 23 yard run and the player didn't look right -- it was caught by my line judge and I agreed that the player should be checked.

I went over myself and got the EMT and told the teams to get some water in the meantime. Once the EMT got to the player and he was off the field, we had the try.
I read it as you took a water break and while doing that you had an EMT look at a kid and not as you took an injury timeout and while that was going on you took a water break.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 05:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
I read it as you took a water break and while doing that you had an EMT look at a kid and not as you took an injury timeout and while that was going on you took a water break.
Oh, no. Absent the injury, we wouldn't have stopped. They can drink water in the minute between the try and the kickoff.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
95 and 80% humidity can be a rough day
I would have KILLED for that both this past Saturday and the Saturday before that in scrimmages. One of our guys at the scrimmage last saturday said a trainer with one of those digital temp/humid guages said it was 135 on the turf. I think that was a bit high, but I'm sure it was every bit of 105. We did have a little breeze.

Neither Friday night was too bad, though this past one was just a little cooler.

Here in Texas, we've finally got our late August cold front. Instead of triple digits, we go all the way down to mid-90s. Today it rained much of the day, so it was very pleasant. From forecasts, it doesn't appear we'll see any (or too many) more 100+ degree days the rest of the year. Thank goodness.