The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

We had some discussion at a meeting concerning this play:
Player A1 makes a basket and A2 grabs the ball after it comes through the net. He then proceeds to take the ball out of bounds under his basket and throw it in to A3 who makes a lay up. Is there something in the rule book which provides the officials with a specific recourse? A rules committee member said to wipe out the basket by A3 (this makes sense), assess a technical foul on A2(this also makes sense), and put any elapsed time back on the clock. Can we do this?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
We had some discussion at a meeting concerning this play:
Player A1 makes a basket and A2 grabs the ball after it comes through the net. He then proceeds to take the ball out of bounds under his basket and throw it in to A3 who makes a lay up. Is there something in the rule book which provides the officials with a specific recourse? A rules committee member said to wipe out the basket by A3 (this makes sense), assess a technical foul on A2(this also makes sense), and put any elapsed time back on the clock. Can we do this?
IMO, the whistle should be blown when A2 grabs the ball. Issue a warning or delay of game and don't get into a situation where you have to make the additional decisions. Hindsight is 20/20 but the inbounds pass and score really should never have happened, right?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

That's right, they should never had happened but things that should not happen can and do occur.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
That's right, they should never had happened but things that should not happen can and do occur.
I agree; however, as referees we need to try to limit these unexpected situations to those that are beyond our control. This sitaution was within the referee's control.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow I saw this happen

I saw something close to this at a varsity game earlier this year. A1 had just scored a layup, A2 grabs the ball and in-bounds to A3. A3 realizes she's not suppose to have the ball and tosses it up in the air towards the endline. B1 grabs the ball before it goes out and takes too many steps. Tweet! Travel on B! A to inbound.

Luckily the other ref caught what just happened and gave the ball to B. No time correction was made because they weren't aware of how much time had elapsed.

Now correcting this mess. First, it should never happen. The new trial should catch this before it happens. In accessing the T, I would only do it if A2 PURPOSELY grabs the ball and inbounds it. Usually they just get mixed up. Cancel the score and/or violation and give it to B for the throw-in. Rule 2-3 give the referee authority to make decisions not specifically covered in the rules. I think it would apply here.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 04:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post Re: I saw this happen

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy
Now correcting this mess. First, it should never happen. The new trial should catch this before it happens. In accessing the T, I would only do it if A2 PURPOSELY grabs the ball and inbounds it. Usually they just get mixed up. Cancel the score and/or violation and give it to B for the throw-in. Rule 2-3 give the referee authority to make decisions not specifically covered in the rules. I think it would apply here.
If you take this as your position (and I think it has some merit), you should still issue the delay of game warning. A2 definitely prevented team B from being able to promptly put the ball in play following the made basket.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

What is this? The year of 10.1.8???