The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Was watching off ball and saw some questionable collisions going on in the post and was determined that the next one was going to be called.

A few minutes later... it happened. Tweet! and I emphatically yell out "Illegal screen!" I haven't used those words in well over five years; why they jumped from my mouth at this time, I have no idea. To make matters worse it was the defense that committed the foul - it wasn't an attempt at a screen. It was a blatant push or a block, but for some jumbled reason I yelled illegal screen. Sinking deeper into the whirlpool, I even reported it as an illegal screen with a block signal. My partner even came to me and said "she's on defense Tony." I replied "Yeah." "So you've got a block right?" Again, I replied "Yeah." I'm now gasping for breath and reaching for any sign of a reasonable brainwave... The coach now wants and explanation of what the player did. With an internal scream of anguish and deepening feeling of helplessness, standing at the top of the key I jump to the side and give a big push with my arms similar to what the player did. I felt like an idiot. Seemed to satisfy her but probably just settled it in her mind that I was only worthy of a low evaluation score. The game had been going great. Her team was winning by 20. What the heck happened to me?

The call needed to be made. I caught the foul and properly blew my whistle but from there I went the wrong direction and felt like a complete rookie.

It took several minutes before I could let it pass and feel like I was making confident calls again.

What tactics do any of you use to recover from something as stupid as this? Anyone else care to bare their soul?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Was watching off ball and saw some questionable collisions going on in the post and was determined that the next one was going to be called.

A few minutes later... it happened. Tweet! and I emphatically yell out "Illegal screen!" I haven't used those words in well over five years; why they jumped from my mouth at this time, I have no idea. To make matters worse it was the defense that committed the foul - it wasn't an attempt at a screen. It was a blatant push or a block, but for some jumbled reason I yelled illegal screen. Sinking deeper into the whirlpool, I even reported it as an illegal screen with a block signal. My partner even came to me and said "she's on defense Tony." I replied "Yeah." "So you've got a block right?" Again, I replied "Yeah." I'm now gasping for breath and reaching for any sign of a reasonable brainwave... The coach now wants and explanation of what the player did. With an internal scream of anguish and deepening feeling of helplessness, standing at the top of the key I jump to the side and give a big push with my arms similar to what the player did. I felt like an idiot. Seemed to satisfy her but probably just settled it in her mind that I was only worthy of a low evaluation score. The game had been going great. Her team was winning by 20. What the heck happened to me?

The call needed to be made. I caught the foul and properly blew my whistle but from there I went the wrong direction and felt like a complete rookie.

It took several minutes before I could let it pass and feel like I was making confident calls again.

What tactics do any of you use to recover from something as stupid as this? Anyone else care to bare their soul?
What's wrong with "illegal screen"?
What's wrong with reporting an "illegal screen" as a block?
Is this something else I need to worry about??!

To answer your question, when I screw up I put the whistle back in my mouth, chop in time & finish the game. What else is there to do?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Don't take it to heart. When you realized what you did during the reporting of the foul, just laugh to yourself, apologize, and report it as correct. 9/10 times the coaches will smile back, and they will appreciate the fact that they have humans as referees.

Or so they think.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 07:40am
Huck Finn

Smile

I almost laughed reading this post. Things happen and we have to move on. I've done some stuff that I wouldn't even post on this board. You will be alright.

What signal are we supposed to use for an illegal screen if we don't use the block signal. That is what they do on an illegal screen. This is what I use.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 10:03am
9 times

You have to have a memory like a defensive back. You have to just forget it and move on. Get the next one right. It is hard to do, but forget it and go on.

You ought to thank your partner for having the presence of mind to get you back on track.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Tweet! and I emphatically yell out "Illegal screen!" I haven't used those words in well over five years; why they jumped from my mouth at this time, I have no idea. To make matters worse it was the defense that committed the foul - it wasn't an attempt at a screen. It was a blatant push or a block, but for some jumbled reason I yelled illegal screen. Sinking deeper into the whirlpool, I even reported it as an illegal screen with a block signal. My partner even came to me and said "she's on defense Tony."
I'm with Dan on this one. Why does being on defense mean you can't commit an illegal screen? Defenders screen all the time, and it's either legal or illegal. Illegal screen is a good, short, accurate description to a coach of a certain play. Isn't it??

If that particular play wasn't an illegal screen, you can still sound fine if you signal a push, and say "Coach, she pushed her on the way past." Or whatever. Or, block would be a reasonable signal to the table. Wouldn't it??

What am i missing here?
Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 11:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

I was working a girls varsity game last week. Crash, clear block. I summon the spirit of indulgent, incorrect mechanics and bang my hips when selling the call. I linger and watch the players go to the floor and once I see that there's no injuries or any USC I go to the table.

I get over to the trail position and the table buzzes me. I'm thinking that they are not paying attention and allow myself to get just a little annoyed. When I went over, they told me I had reported the number of the shooter. I quickly realized they were right.

I laughed, they laughed. I still had both numbers in my head, but for some reason I was paying attention to the offensive player as she took the worse end of the collision. I said, "you mean I didn't report 21 white?" Nope, 50 blue.

I was still smiling as I got back to the trail position. A few years ago something like this would've bumped me off my game, but for some reason the water rolls off the back a lot easier these days. Heck, even the coaches smiled.

Rich
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

For myself when I have really goofed or messed up I tried a lot of suggestions and found that the most basic one worked. I just focus on mechanics and the game, and click off of auto pilot for a minute or two. I will say things to myself like "white is on offense, I need to watch for this and this, my area of coverage is from here to here, am I stepping down on the shot, etc" For me it brings me back mentally and I am able to forget (at least until the end of the game) what I did.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

No big deal... you made the right call and got through it. What's to recover from?

One thing that might help is to verbalize the call along with your signals when you give your prelim signal on the floor before reporting. That would have cleared everything up for your partner (he/she would have heard and seen which color and number you called the foul on and would have heard and seen who was to receive the ball on the throw-in). That might have also made you realize that you gave the wrong signal and then you might have had it ironed out by the time you reported at the bench. Been there, done that.

Z
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Don't get too down on yourself

I've set an illegal screen before, just the other day as a matter of fact. The problem was, I was the Umpire at the time.