The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the end of the run is the goal line ciz the momentum exception does not apply but that is not the enforcement spot. See the following case book play.

10.4.5 SITUATION H: B1 intercepts A's pass in B's end zone, B2 clips A9 at B's 10-yard line after the change of possession. B1 then fumbles in B's end zone and the ball rolls out of the end zone and out of bounds at B's 2-yard line. RULING: The penalty is enforced under the all-but-one principle. The end of the run is the goal line and the basic spot is the 20-yard line. The foul would be enforced half the distance, first and 10 for B on the 5-yard line. (10-4-5d).
This shows how the EOR is the EZ, but the basic spot is the 20. That is my argument of why it is inforced from the 20. Obviously this penalty is against team A.

You stated 10.4.3.C and at the end of that it references 10-3-3-C which says "ART. 3 . . . The end of the run is:
a. Where the ball becomes dead in the runner's possession.
b. Where the runner loses possession if his run is followed by a loose ball.
c. The spot of the catch when the momentum rule is in effect.
The momentum exception is not in effect, so the end of the run is given 10-3-3-b, which means we will have a TB.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Romin' Umpire, how do you do the sepated quotes like you have done a couple of times in this discussion????
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I think we have an answer. A similar discussion on the NF forum going back and forth and another official found a pretty conclusive ruling.

2006 Rules Book p 80 under Football Fundamentals ...

"Fouls committed by B in the end zone on running plays where the end of the run is in the end zone (even when possession is subsequently lost in the end zone and the ball comes into (and possibley of of the field of play, is the 20-yard line. (Case Book 10.4.5. These situations, though rare, result from the normal "end of run" being a touchback and not a safety and, therefore, administration from the 20-yard line."

The ruling you found does not mention anything about it being different if it is possessed in the field of play and ends up in the EZ or possessed in the EZ initially. I think this is the conclusive proof I was looking for.

What he found on page 80 (Goal line and end zone calls) is brand new to the rule book and I would suggest everyone reads it. I don't think I would have found it there and it is a good thing for all of us to read!
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

You need to put each block into separate QUOTE tags. So you write something like this:
PHP Code:
[QUOTE=MJT]Some text here[/QUOTE]
My reply here
[QUOTE]Rest of text here[/QUOTE]
Rest of reply here 
And it looks like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Some text here
My reply here
Quote:
Rest of text here
Rest of reply here
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
"Fouls committed by B in the end zone on running plays where the end of the run is in the end zone (even when possession is subsequently lost in the end zone and the ball comes into (and possibley of of the field of play, is the 20-yard line. (Case Book 10.4.5. These situations, though rare, result from the normal "end of run" being a touchback and not a safety and, therefore, administration from the 20-yard line."

The ruling you found does not mention anything about it being different if it is possessed in the field of play and ends up in the EZ or possessed in the EZ initially. I think this is the conclusive proof I was looking for.
But it does say that the situations result from the normal "end of the run" being a touchback. Which, as previously discussed, it definitely is NOT here. Here's another example where applying this principle strictly leads to nonsense:

PLAY: B intercepts a pass or catches a scrimmage kick at the B2. He circles back into his own EZ during the run (no momentum involved here!) He is hit in the EZ and fumbles - the ball goes OOB at the B5. While the ball was loose, (a) B commits a clipping foul at the B6 or (b) A commits a clipping foul at the B6.

RULING: I fervently hope we're not enforcing either of these from the 20! In (a), I've got a safety. In (b), I'm enforcing the penalty from the goal line.

Now, before you say that situation (b) is covered by 10-5-2, it wouldn't result in a safety - B would end up with the ball at the B5.

After reading the point of emphasis on page 80 that you mention, it seems to me that the NFHS wants fouls in these situations enforced as if the fumble never occurred. So, if they ever get around to ruling on the original play in this thread, I'm betting they'll want it enforced from the momentum spot.

BUT, as there is no rules support for any of these situations, I'm just going to muddle through as best I can. What I've come up with are these guidelines:
  • If the play would have been a touchback with no fumble, enforce from the 20 (per 10.4.5 G&H).
  • If the play would NOT have resulted in a touchback, enforce from the goal line (as per 10.4.3C Comment).