The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I do agree with Jim. If we follow the rules to the letter as they are written, then momentum should still apply. However, as I stated before, I don't really think thats the intent of the rule. When they made the momentum excpetion I'm sure they didn't consider this little blip.

Bob M. There are many many smart officials on this forum. I hate to single you out here. But I have to say that when it comes to rules knowledge, you have to be right up there at the top. And most folks around this forum really respect your opinions. Could I request that you analyze my little play and give us your insight?

Thanks a bunch.
Old Sat Jun 10, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not the legendary Masucci , but I'll give it a shot...

Using NFHS rules:
The momentum exception is just that: an exception. It applies only when the rule that it is excepting would apply - in this case, 8-5-2a, which says that it is a safety if you carry the ball into your own end zone and it becomes dead there in your team's possession. However, that rule does not apply here because of 8-5-1:
Responsibility for forcing the ball from the field of play across a goal line is attributed to the player who carries, snaps, passes, fumbles, or kicks the ball, unless a new force is applied to a grounded backward pass, kick, or fumble. (emphasis mine)
Once the ball is back in the field of play, force is determined all over again - and the force is definitely the illegal bat in this play. So, 8-5-2a is no longer relevant (we'd use 8-5-3c instead), which means that the ME is off. And since the final result of the play is a touchback according to 8-5-3c, by 10-5-4d, the basic spot is the succeeding spot. 1/10 for R from the R35.

Under NCAA rules:
I believe the same argument can be made - the momentum exception applies to 8-5-1, which defines safety. But the rule to be applied is 8-6-1a, which defines touchback. 8-7-1 and 8-7-2b(1) help to clarify whose impetus (force) puts the ball in the end zone for the final time.

The catch is that NCAA rules have no equivalent to NFHS 10-5-4d. The closest they come is 10-2-2f(2), which requires the change of possession to occur in the end zone. Therefore, I believe the enforcement rule that applies is 10-2-2f(1), which says to enforce the penalty from the goal line. B will presumably decline this penalty and take the touchback, resulting in 1/10 for B from the B20.