The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Watch recommended for football officials?

I was wondering what recommendations anyone had for an excellent game watch for football officials ...make model specific please. Thanks
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

I use the NFL watch from Honigs. I bought it last year but did not see it on their site. It works great but if you do not get this, make sure it lights up on those Friday nights.
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Yeah, I've got the NFL watch too. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that you can't have two different count down timers, i.e. one for 1 minute and another for 25 seconds. That is the only thing I don't like.
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 08:26am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Yeah, I've got the NFL watch too. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that you can't have two different count down timers, i.e. one for 1 minute and another for 25 seconds. That is the only thing I don't like.
Grant,
I use the NFL watch also. I know a few guys that don't like it. I like it for the big buttons and big face.

I use the Ready Ref (www.ready-ref.com) for the 25/60 clock. It cost about $70 but is worth every dollar!
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Seconding the opinion of the Ready Ref. It is THE way to go for the play clock and the interval timer (60 secs). If you have that then the watch is pretty much immaterial. Any of the digital watches with a countdown timer and relative large start stop buttons (i.e the Timex Ironman Triathlon) will work.
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I use a Robic SC-5002 which is a count down timer on a lanyard. I like it since it's not on my wrist, and can be started/stopped while still in your shirt pocket (it has a button on the front that you can easily feel thru the fabric of the pocket). It also has a low volume "beep" that lets you know that you just turned it on/off when you hit the button. Not much money, can easily change battery, and leaves hands free since you don't wear it on the wrist.

It's slightly larger that a baseball ball/strike counter with an easily readable large character display.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3375251
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul
Grant,
I use the NFL watch also. I know a few guys that don't like it. I like it for the big buttons and big face.

I use the Ready Ref (www.ready-ref.com) for the 25/60 clock. It cost about $70 but is worth every dollar!
My thing about that item is that it looks huge. Is that the case? I checked the site and it has the dimensions on there, what are your thoughts?
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Ironman / NFL watches

Do they make an audible beep so you don't have to look at them to know you've started them?

The watch I have now, I have to make sure. Don't like to be staring at my watch at the end of a play to make sure I stopped the clock.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 01:32pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
My thing about that item is that it looks huge. Is that the case? I checked the site and it has the dimensions on there, what are your thoughts?
Grant,
it is a little bigger then a beeper. Goes on you belt with a metal loop. Very solid. It comes with a rain case (plastic cover) which I haven't used. In the picture on the website it is blown up for a better view.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 01:35pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoselli
Do they make an audible beep so you don't have to look at them to know you've started them?

The watch I have now, I have to make sure. Don't like to be staring at my watch at the end of a play to make sure I stopped the clock.
It has a LED light that lights on top so you know it is currently running. so, no you need to look at it to make sure but I don't it is very dependable. Sometimes it seems like it should have went off I may look. It viberates when time expires...
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

I meant the watches - do they beep when started and stopped?

I meant the NFL and Ironman watches.

I think you thought I was referring to the ReadyRef.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 04:25pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoselli
I meant the NFL and Ironman watches.

I think you thought I was referring to the ReadyRef.

Oh, I did...sorry. The NFL watch does not beep to let you know it is running
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

I use the NFL only in clock failure and my ready ref at BJ on TO and Huddles. I also use it for the time to get the ball to be kicked after a score. This is a time saving event for clock/game management.

I truly recommend both of these, just make sure you put a fresh battery in the ready ref each season. It gives you a 5 second warning on huddles and 15 second warning on time outs.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

While I am carrying the Ready Ref in my bag, I always keep the battery unplugged as it is very easy for things in the bag to push against the button and keep starting the thing. (And you gotta have a spare battery in the bag anway, just like spare whistles, pencils, etc)
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
While I am carrying the Ready Ref in my bag, I always keep the battery unplugged as it is very easy for things in the bag to push against the button and keep starting the thing. (And you gotta have a spare battery in the bag anway, just like spare whistles, pencils, etc)
So, you carry the Ready Ref and and Ironman wristwatch to time quarters. I cant seem to find the "NFL wristwatch" from Honigs anywhere.