The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 12:13pm
I Bleed Crimson

We've discussed this before. But I'm going to throw this out there again.

When giving options to captains during the coin toss, we have had situations where captains choose to kick. In JV or less our WH explains what will happen if they make that choice. In varsity games, we ask again. And again. And again if necessary.

In one case our WH said, "Let me ask you again. Do you want to DEFER, RECEIVE, ..." and more quietly and quickly "kick, or defend a goal." When again they chose to kick, he said "Are you sure you want to kick? You can defer or receive." Again the captain chose to kick. Once again "Are you sure you don't want to defer or receive?" "We want to kick." Ok. Our WH signaled the choice to kick. Of course their HC was furious, and once we explained what happened, he was furious at his captains, not us.

I know many of you argue that we shouldn't let the captains make dumb mistakes. I agree with our WH though. Give them the options, and let them make the choice. If they choose an obviously dumb option, give it again with emphasis on the right choice. Ultimately it is their game, not ours. What choices they make on the field, either on actions during a play or decisions during penalty and other options, it theirs alone. We can coach, but I don't think we should make decisions for them.

Football is not only a game, but it is a learning tool. And players can learn a lot about a lot more than football, especially in situations such as these. If they choose a dumb option, even after coaching through emphasis, they'll catch on (hopefully).
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

>>In one case our WH said, "Let me ask you again. Do you want to DEFER, RECEIVE, ..." and more quietly and quickly "kick, or defend a goal." When again they chose to kick, he said "Are you sure you want to kick? You can defer or receive." Again the captain chose to kick. Once again "Are you sure you don't want to defer or receive?" "We want to kick."<<

Don't ask the same question 4 times. Ask it twice and if he says kick both times, then say, "captain, you understand that if you choose to kick, you will be kicking in BOTH halves; is that what you want to do?"

If he says "yes," do it.

If you think you have to ask it 4 times, its obvious he doesn't understand the implications of his answer. 2 times is sufficient to determine that, and it isn't your job to do anything other than a quick explanation, something like what I illustrated above.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:03am
I Bleed Crimson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Don't ask the same question 4 times. Ask it twice and if he says kick both times, then say, "captain, you understand that if you choose to kick, you will be kicking in BOTH halves; is that what you want to do?"
I disagree. In JV and below I would do that. At varsity, we aren't there to make decisions for them. If 4 hints isn't enough to get them to think, then let them have it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
If you think you have to ask it 4 times, its obvious he doesn't understand the implications of his answer. 2 times is sufficient to determine that, and it isn't your job to do anything other than a quick explanation, something like what I illustrated above.
Exactly. If they don't understand, then they will after their choice. Choices have consequences. I bet they won't make the same mistake again. What have they lost but a bad choice in that one game? They have gained far more than they lost.