The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Here's today's Play of the Day:

It is first and 10 on A's 3. Runner A1 fumbles on his 2-yard line. B1 intentionally kicks the loose ball which is: (a) on A's 2; or (b) in the end zone. The ball then goes out of bounds behind the goal line.
-----------------------
Ruling: Undoubtedly, Team A will decline the penalty in (a) and take the touchback. A will accept the penalty in (b), because declining it would give B a safety.(8.5.1D)Casebook

Ok, Please help me out here. I'm thinking out loud...the result of the play is a touchback. The basic spot is end of run, 2-yard line, so in a) accept the penalty 1&10 A 17; decline 1&10 A 20. Now I'm struggling with b) accept the penalty 1&10 A 17??? and if decline why would it be a safety??
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
What they're not saying is that in a. they are considering the kick by B to be a new force. Otherwise they would both be a safety if the penalty is declined.
In b. to accept the penalty would give A the ball 1&10 on the 15. The enforcement spot for a foul by the defense in the EZ is the goal line. This is not a loose ball play.
To decline would be a safety since the force that put the ball into the EZ was the fumble by A.

[Edited by Jim S on Nov 2nd, 2005 at 05:55 PM]

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Isn't it a loose ball play since A fumbled behind the original line of scrimmage? 10-3-1c

So in b, isn't it first down for A at A's 18 after enforcement?
The basic spot on a loose ball play is the previous spot,
A's 3.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by l3will
Isn't it a loose ball play since A fumbled behind the original line of scrimmage? 10-3-1c

A's 3.
this is not a loose ball play, don't get confused by the fumble.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by l3will

A's 3.
this is not a loose ball play, don't get confused by the fumble.
Okay, why isn't it part of a loose ball play????

Rule 10-3-1 A loose ball play is action duing:
c. A backward pass (including the snap), illegal kick or fumble by A from behind the neutral zone and prior to a change of team possession.

play was 1st and ten from A's 3 (97 yards to go for a touchdown for A); A fumbles on the 2 yard line; that is behind the neutral zone, when B kicked the ball in the end zone it was a loose ball and team possession had not changed.

So why isn't the basic spot the previous spot?
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Someone please explain to me why this isn't a loose ball foul as defined in 10-3-1 and the note highlighted in gray below. I believe it meets the criteria completely. So, in A,wouldn't the basic spot be the previous spot, and the foul by B marked off from there.
Also, how can a safety be involved when the recoverd ball was in the EZ of the offended team, not the team that created the new force?
The initial force is the fumble by A, and the new force is the kick by B.
I understand 8-5-b to read that the new force recovered in endzone of the player who created the new force(B) would result in a safety for that player's team. In this scenario, the ball was recoverd in A's endzone, therefore, there is no safety involved.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfoulk
Here's today's Play of the Day:

It is first and 10 on A's 3. Runner A1 fumbles on his 2-yard line. B1 intentionally kicks the loose ball which is: (a) on A's 2; or (b) in the end zone. The ball then goes out of bounds behind the goal line.
-----------------------
(a) B1's illegal kick was a new force and caused the ball to cross over the goal line and go out of bounds. B's force caused the ball to go out of bounds in A's end zone. Results of the play is a touchback. Now let's deal with the foul. This was a foul during a loose-ball play because this was a fumble by A in or behind the neutral zone. The basic spot for a foul with a loose ball is the previous spot. If A accepts the penalty for B's foul, it will be A's ball 1 & 10 at A's 18-yard line.

(b) The force that put the ball into A's end zone was the fumble by A. Once it is in the end zone, the illegal kick by B1 is not a new force. The play results in a safety. A's force caused the ball to go out of bounds in A's end zone. If A accepts the penalty for the foul by B, A will get the ball back 1/10 at A's 18-yard line because this is a foul during a loose ball play.

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Booker
1) This is a loose ball play, a fumble by A behind the neutral zone, prior to a change of possession, is part of a loose ball play. However the ball was not recovered, it was kicked by B thru the endzone.

2) The ball in situation A was at the 2 yard line. The ruling that was given is B supplied a new force and it was B's force which put the ball into A's endzone. Since B caused the force which put the ball into and out of A's endzone, it would be A's ball 1st and 10 on the 20 after declining B's penalty and accepting the touchback. If A would accept the penalty it would be a loose ball play and the basic spot would be the previous spot. You would penalize team B 15 yards from the previous spot, and the result would be 1st and 10 from the 18 yard line.

3)The ball in situation B is in the endzone. The force that put the ball in A's endzone was the fumble by A. If A declines the penalty on B the result of the play would be a safety. We all know that A would not decline the penalty. This is still a loose ball play, a fumble by A behind the neutral zone, prior to a change of possession. The basic spot for a foul during the loose ball is the previous spot, so the penalty on B for illegal kicking would be 15 yards from the 3 yard line. The result of the play would be 1st and 10 for A from the 18 yard line.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Fumble in or behind the neutral zone is a loose ball play. Fumble beyond the neutral zone is running play (with a loose ball). 10-3-1c (loose ball play); 10-3-2 (running play); 10-3-3-b (end of the run).
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Is too a loose ball play.... I had it at the other end of the field. My bad!

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I knew the play to be a loose ball play, so when that was quesioned, it threw me into a tizzy. NOw I feel better.One more quesiton. In B, it's not first down, but second. When A accepts the penalty and a touchback is declared, after the ball is placed at the twenty would it be second and ten, or first and ten?
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

?????

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. The first down which a team will have after gaining possession of the ball is never 2nd down. In fact I have yet to see any foul mentioned in this situation which also carries a loss of down penalty. After a touchback it is always 1st and 10 for the team defending that goal.