The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I can't tell if that was serious or not, so I'll answer like it was. If you were being sarcastic, you win, I bit.

A ball in flight is defined as one that has not touched the ground. Pretty simple. Once it hits the ground, it's no longer a ball in flight, which then answers your other questions.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

You can't have a ball in flight after it touches the ground and you can only CATCH a live ball in flight. You recover a live ball that's hit the ground.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcrowder
[B]Schwinn is right... you need all 6 articles here, not just the 3. Art 6 tells you what K cannot do (the "protection" mentinoed in Art 3) while the BALL IS IN FLIGHT. Once it's grounded, all bets are off.

Again, where does it say that the protection ends when the ball is no longer in flight. The player who gives the fair catch is prohibited from blocking until "the kick ends". Doesn't it stand to reason that his protection lasts until the kick ends as well.

Any other interpretation leads to the conclusion that any player who gives a fair catch but doesn't catch the ball can be taken out as soon as the ball hits the ground.

Furthermore, the rules do not only tell us what it prohibited. They also tell us what is authorized. I am of the opinion that this particular situation is not covered under the rules. That is why it makes a good topic for discussion.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I've always been curious about the wording that no player who gives a fair catch signal can block until the kick ends. Can anyone tell me a scenario where he would be allowed to block since once a signal is made the ball becomes dead an the down ends as soon as either team gets possession?
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by booker227
The problem here is in the definition of ball in flight. Is the ball still in flight even after it has touched the ground?
REPLY: No, it's not. See NF 2-1-3: (in part) "A loose ball which has not yet touched the ground is in flight. A grounded loose ball is one which has touched the ground."
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

don't move.

This situation comes up so the receiver cannot signal and then block a memeber of the kicking team in order to prevent K from downing the ball near the goal line.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Don't move:

The only thing I can think is if the ball bounces back behind the neutral zone, and K recovers and advances. I don't think you kill the play in that situation, even thought there's been a FC signal by R beyond the NZ. That's the only thing I can come up with.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

The rule says he can't block until "the kick ends". The kick ends when the ball is in player possession. The ball is dead in any case where a R player signals FC and any R player gains possession of the ball, and also in any case where K gains possession of the ball on R's side of the NZ. So the only answer can be a kick that does not cross (or ends up) on K's side of the NZ.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

It's holding by K. Fair catchi protection for R ends when the ball becomes grounded, but K cannot prevent R from capturing the ball by tackling (holding) him. Different scenario: Pitch from QB (A1) to A2. Prior to A2 catching the ball B1 tackles A2. Defensive holding on B1. Same thing
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:15pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by booker227 It's holding by K. Fair catchi protection for R ends when the ball becomes grounded, but K cannot prevent R from capturing the ball by tackling (holding) him. Different scenario: Pitch from QB (A1) to A2. Prior to A2 catching the ball B1 tackles A2. Defensive holding on B1. Same thing
Just a question on this. In the description above, I agree 100%. K cannot tackle the guy. However, K can grab or pull on R in an effort to get to the ball. Just like the defense can grab or pull in an effort to get to the ball carrier. But not grab or pull to make room for a teammate to get to the ball.

But along the lines of the tackle. How many times have you seen R muff the ball and get tackled by K, and hear the announcers say "that was a great play by K to keep R from getting to the ball." As an official, you grant some leeway to K when there is possibility that R may have caught the ball. But if you think K's purpose in tackling was to prevent R from recovering the ball, would you flag it?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by booker227
It's holding by K. Fair catchi protection for R ends when the ball becomes grounded, but K cannot prevent R from capturing the ball by tackling (holding) him. Different scenario: Pitch from QB (A1) to A2. Prior to A2 catching the ball B1 tackles A2. Defensive holding on B1. Same thing
What rule says fair catch protection ends when the ball is grounded. I've not found that.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

parepat - you can block anyone, anywhere, anytime... UNLESS it's prohibited by a rule. Blocking, tackling, etc are LEGAL, unless prohibited by a rule.

The rule listed above tells you what you can't do to a receiving team member WHILE THE BALL IS IN FLIGHT. When the ball is no longer in flight, normal rules apply.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

The problem here is that the ball wasn't muffed, but misplayed due to the short kick. If the the ball had been muffed by R, all restrictions for K have ended, and K can pull, push. bloc,.... etc. R in order to get the ball. I believe that, even though it isn't stated in the book, all fair-catch protection for R ends when the ball becomes grounded, which is what happened in the situation. Now, does K still have to give R the opportunity to capture the loose ball before he can block or tackle R? That's the question that needs to be answered. I believe (and I'm often wrong) that K has interfered with R's opportunity to get possession of the ball, and "KCI" is the right call.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
parepat - you can block anyone, anywhere, anytime... UNLESS it's prohibited by a rule. Blocking, tackling, etc are LEGAL, unless prohibited by a rule.

The rule listed above tells you what you can't do to a receiving team member WHILE THE BALL IS IN FLIGHT. When the ball is no longer in flight, normal rules apply.
What rule are you talking about. I don't see any rule that deals with fair catch that limits action "while the ball is in flight".
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder

What rule are you talking about. I don't see any rule that deals with fair catch that limits action "while the ball is in flight".
You need to start with Rule 2-4... 1 and 2... A catch is the act of establishing player possession of a live ball which is in flight....

Then rule 2-9-1 A fair catch is a catch by a receiver of a free kick ....

Then just to contrast... look at rule 2-34 ... A recovery is gaining possession of a live ball after it strikes the ground...

So once the ball touches the ground, R can no longer make a
"catch", so protection ends... since he can no longer make a fair catch. R can only recover, but since R made a fair catch signal... R can no longer advance.... rule 6-5-5 ...
No receiver may advance the ball after a valid or invalid fair-catch signal has been given by any member of the receiving team.