The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I asked this question last night at an association meeting and didn't really get an answer. When a wideout comes up to the line and looks at you to help them line up on the line, how far do you go to help them? What I try to do is show them where the line is and leave it at that. Especially on the varsity level I feel that they should know where to set up at. Last Friday night the offense ran a bunch formation where 3 players came to my side. The one who was apparently supposed to be on the line would look over at me to verify his position. I simply would say, "here's the line" and show him with my feet. Well this kid was at least 1 yard off the line, so I flagged it. Not 7 on the line. The coach got upset and told me that he was looking over at me to get "my opinion." I told the coach that I couldn't coach his kid on where to line up, especially since I don't really know if he's supposed to be on or off for sure and that if I knew he was supposed to be on and I had him move forward and the QB took the snap, I have just created a false start for him. He understood, but I don't think his player ever did. How do you all handle this?