View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
There is absolutely nothing wrong telling them whether or not they're on the line if they're unsure.

Remember you have the best view of the line and it's your opinion that matters not theirs, so if they're out of position and they make a signal that's asking if they're on the line, I'm gonna tell them. Either, "You're good" "back up" "move up".

I do it for both teams and both coaches appreciate the fact that they're not getting penalized for preventable fouls.
Don't use phrases like "you're good". That implies that you're reading their intentions, which may or may not be accurate and their intentions may change.

tell them their current status. On the line or off the line. If there's a TE, ask them if they're SURE they need to be on the line.
If they're on the line or within the vicinity of the line, and my umpire points out that I need an end, and they put their hand up to signal that they're that end, then I have no problem assuming that they should be on the line and I will try to direct them in.

If I know there's a TE then I won't bother with them, unless they're standing in the NZ.