Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: You're a Back

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner

From now on I'm going to use "You're on the Line" or "You're off the line" and see what kind of response I get with that.

Just my $0.02
I only get ½ ¢ since it is not my position, this this is exactly what a couple of our experienced wingmen do. At the same time they give the on/off signals to each other and to the umpire, they will say just loudly enough for the receivers to hear "One one, one off" or "Both off."
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cowbyfan1
If I am on a wing and I put a player in a spot then I will not hold it against him which is basically what you did Biscuit. The way I read your post, you stick a foot out and say line is here and then player lines up on that and then you flag him for it. I'd bet my house that kid told his coach that he went where you told him to go.

I don't know what the kid told his coach. What I do know is that I didn't TELL him where to line up, I SHOWED him where the line was. There's a difference. If he can't get within a yard of the line after you show it to him, I'm sorry but that should get a flag.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Our wings use fist straight out as "on the line", and fist straight back as "off the line". If you explaing this to both coaches at the pre-game, or even to the captains, and the players coming to your side on formations, they know where they are simply by glancing at the wing.

Jaysef
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to MMRFL#1
Wink On or off the line

I have been doing this for a few years and before that as a coach. I have always heard from fellow officials the answer is "You are on the Line" or "You are off the Line". That is not coaching that is answering the question if they look to you. I have also always been told never to tell them to move forward or back...that is coaching and you could be wrong or have them moving at the snap.

It is a good idea to tell the coaches and captiains that the ends/receivers should indicate to you what they are supposed to be "I am on the Line" then by responding witht he above you have confirmed or denied that. Makes it clear. Also -- If it is close or marginal you can error to the placement they said rather then guess what they want.

It has worked well fro me for 8 years as an official.