View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
There is absolutely nothing wrong telling them whether or not they're on the line if they're unsure.

Remember you have the best view of the line and it's your opinion that matters not theirs, so if they're out of position and they make a signal that's asking if they're on the line, I'm gonna tell them. Either, "You're good" "back up" "move up".

I do it for both teams and both coaches appreciate the fact that they're not getting penalized for preventable fouls.
I was told not to do this because you don't know if they're supposed to be in the backfield on on the LOS. If you tell them to move up when they should be in the backfield or move back when they're supposed to be on the LOS. I thought the "you're a back or you're an end" should of worked, but really the "you're on the line or you're off the line" is probably the best, if they are lining up in the NZ, and they look at me I'll tell them to back up a tad, so they don't get an encroachment foul, that is preventable, but as far as on the LOS or in the Backfield, I think I will go with you're on the line or you're off the line.