The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to regas14 Send a message via Yahoo to regas14
I meant to bring my case book with me so I could quote it exactly, but in the portion of the Case Book dealing with Rule 8 there was a case that went roughly like this:

Team A is attempting a try from its own 3 yard line (first off that's a lot of freiking penalties to lose 94 yards). The play is a legal forward pass during which a flag is thrown for a penalty against A. B1 intercepts the ball and returns it for the TD.

The ruling states that team B would have to decline the penalty in order for the TD to stand.

I read it over and over to make sure that the word "TRY" was actually in there. Then I consulted the rule book going back and forth, but I couldn't come to any conclusion other than the fact that the ball should have been blown dead as soon as B secured possession via the interception. Team B could then choose the result of the play (failed try) or to enforce the penalty and replay the down (assuming the penalty would not result in a safety if committed during any other play). B cannot score during a try by A correct?

Could someone look that up and confirm it or at least let me know that I'm an idiot.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Pg. 55 8.2.2 Situation B: This is a try for point play and thus when B2 intercepts the pass, the play is dead. There is no accepting or declining a penalty by A. No touchdown can be scored by B.

There's about a million billion mistakes in the case book this year. Here's a big list:

http://www.gmcgriff.com/discus/messa...tml?1120058307
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I looked online (CB 8.2.2 situation B), it sure does say what you pointed out.
Looks to be an error.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Certainly is an error when put into the context of a TRY. But if you look at the numbering of the rules, Rule 8-2-2 speaks about when penalties are carried over to the try when a TD is scored. I think the error is that plays 8.2.2A and 8.2.2B are lumped under a heading of "TRY" when they should more appropriately be under a heading of "TOUCHDOWN." If taken out of the "TRY" category, the ruling is correct. Even play 8.2.2A has nothing really to do with a try down. Personally, I can't see why Rule 8-2-2 is defined under Rule 8 (likewise with 8-4-3). They more appropriately belong somewhere in Rule 10 since they are specifically related to Enforcement of Penalties--not Scoring.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to regas14 Send a message via Yahoo to regas14
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Certainly is an error when put into the context of a TRY. But if you look at the numbering of the rules, Rule 8-2-2 speaks about when penalties are carried over to the try when a TD is scored. I think the error is that plays 8.2.2A and 8.2.2B are lumped under a heading of "TRY" when they should more appropriately be under a heading of "TOUCHDOWN." If taken out of the "TRY" category, the ruling is correct. Even play 8.2.2A has nothing really to do with a try down. Personally, I can't see why Rule 8-2-2 is defined under Rule 8 (likewise with 8-4-3). They more appropriately belong somewhere in Rule 10 since they are specifically related to Enforcement of Penalties--not Scoring.
That's what I was thinking as I read and reread the case to be sure that the word TRY was not a figment of my immagination.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

We welcome you to the board! Keep asking questions, and read all posts for more information. Good luck to you, and never stop learning!!!