View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to regas14 Send a message via Yahoo to regas14
I meant to bring my case book with me so I could quote it exactly, but in the portion of the Case Book dealing with Rule 8 there was a case that went roughly like this:

Team A is attempting a try from its own 3 yard line (first off that's a lot of freiking penalties to lose 94 yards). The play is a legal forward pass during which a flag is thrown for a penalty against A. B1 intercepts the ball and returns it for the TD.

The ruling states that team B would have to decline the penalty in order for the TD to stand.

I read it over and over to make sure that the word "TRY" was actually in there. Then I consulted the rule book going back and forth, but I couldn't come to any conclusion other than the fact that the ball should have been blown dead as soon as B secured possession via the interception. Team B could then choose the result of the play (failed try) or to enforce the penalty and replay the down (assuming the penalty would not result in a safety if committed during any other play). B cannot score during a try by A correct?

Could someone look that up and confirm it or at least let me know that I'm an idiot.