The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
As an NFL zebra fan (of sorts), here is the NFL Question of the Month: Which R is getting the axe? We all know that Johnny Grier had to (sadly) retire;and we also know that the league is promoting to R TWO people..so..who is getting demoted/'retired'?? Who is the Prime suspect/nominee? My nominee (and probably a lot of other peoples): Tom White. Need I say more??
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Rumors say Tom White is moving to a different position, I believe rumor said linejudge.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:31pm
tpaul

I like Tom White but he always seems to find a way not to look so good even if they get it right!
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Check out this blow by blow description of that Jet/Texan game:

http://refereestats.proboards22.com/...ead=1099875107

If it wasn't true,it could almost be funny. I bet they wern't laughing at NFL's Zebra Central though....

And certainly nothing against Tom White personally, but when you realize he was an R in the USFL(!!),it shows you how long he has been around.Demoting Rs to Line Judge seems to be the NFL's way of saying, "gee,youve worked REALLY hard for us for a long time,and we think you ..ahem...deserve...ahem.. a less demanding position." nudge,nudge...wink,wink...
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Check out this blow by blow description of that Jet/Texan game:

http://refereestats.proboards22.com/...ead=1099875107

If it wasn't true,it could almost be funny. I bet they wern't laughing at NFL's Zebra Central though....

And certainly nothing against Tom White personally, but when you realize he was an R in the USFL(!!),it shows you how long he has been around.Demoting Rs to Line Judge seems to be the NFL's way of saying, "gee,youve worked REALLY hard for us for a long time,and we think you ..ahem...deserve...ahem.. a less demanding position." nudge,nudge...wink,wink...
You are referencing a "bashing board", to link us to a conversation where fans are blasting officials! You could find fans bashing each crew of NFL officials each and every week of the season. We are officials and shouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon of bashers! The problem with most fans and announcers of NFL games is they do not understand all the rules, and some of them are so unique to the NFL and seem strange so the fans and announcers do not understand them. There are many rules and guidelines of what can and can not be replayed. They often have to get together and discuss what another official called to make sure they get it right. The rare times they do make a mistake you here it from the NFL league of officials, and they will make it public when a major mistake is made. So other than that, get off their backs. They are the best in the world, and make fewer mistakes in a year then most of us probably make in a couple of games. Don't get sucked in to fanbashing! I am now off my soapbox.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Don't discount the possibility that whoever it is could have asked for a move. Less stress and fewer responsibilities. Perhaps some physical reasons.

I think the NFL now would ask someone to retire if their judgment was at issue.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 04:21pm
tpaul

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJT
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
You are referencing a "bashing board", to link us to a conversation where fans are blasting officials! You could find fans bashing each crew of NFL officials each and every week of the season. We are officials and shouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon of bashers! The problem with most fans and announcers of NFL games is they do not understand all the rules, and some of them are so unique to the NFL and seem strange so the fans and announcers do not understand them. There are many rules and guidelines of what can and can not be replayed. They often have to get together and discuss what another official called to make sure they get it right. The rare times they do make a mistake you here it from the NFL league of officials, and they will make it public when a major mistake is made. So other than that, get off their backs. They are the best in the world, and make fewer mistakes in a year then most of us probably make in a couple of games. Don't get sucked in to fanbashing! I am now off my soapbox.
++applauding++ Yeaha MJT!

Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I know for a fact that Tom White will be a referee for the 2005 season. And rumors that Gene Steratore will be promoted to the white hat are untrue. He will remain a FJ on Bill Carollo's crew. I believe that Green is the only new white hat.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I once heard someone recommend that all fans should be required to take a rule test to be admitted into a game. That idea was thrown out the window because there wouldn't be a single fan that could pass and the stadium would be empty.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
I once heard someone recommend that all fans should be required to take a rule test to be admitted into a game. That idea was thrown out the window because there wouldn't be a single fan that could pass and the stadium would be empty.
I don't even know if I could pass an NFL rules test...
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

[/QUOTE]
I don't even know if I could pass an NFL rules test... [/B][/QUOTE]

How's the saying go? "You've forgotten more about the rules than what they will ever learn."