View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to regas14 Send a message via Yahoo to regas14
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Certainly is an error when put into the context of a TRY. But if you look at the numbering of the rules, Rule 8-2-2 speaks about when penalties are carried over to the try when a TD is scored. I think the error is that plays 8.2.2A and 8.2.2B are lumped under a heading of "TRY" when they should more appropriately be under a heading of "TOUCHDOWN." If taken out of the "TRY" category, the ruling is correct. Even play 8.2.2A has nothing really to do with a try down. Personally, I can't see why Rule 8-2-2 is defined under Rule 8 (likewise with 8-4-3). They more appropriately belong somewhere in Rule 10 since they are specifically related to Enforcement of Penalties--not Scoring.
That's what I was thinking as I read and reread the case to be sure that the word TRY was not a figment of my immagination.