The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:34am
tpaul

B45 is returning a punt. As he is about to get tackled, B45 attempts to hand the ball forward to B23 who is clearly in front of him, B23 muffs the ball which falls to the ground and rolls forward and out of bounds.

Ruling:
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

NCAA: Fumble forward out of bounds. B's ball at the spot of the fumble.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 06:51am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
B45 is returning a punt. As he is about to get tackled, B45 attempts to hand the ball forward to B23 who is clearly in front of him, B23 muffs the ball which falls to the ground and rolls forward and out of bounds.

Ruling:
Team B offside pass subject to penalty. B 1D @ point of fumble.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books but for NF rules I don't believe he's handed the ball forward. This would be a fumble out of bounds. B's ball first down where the ball went OOB.

The key is in the definitions, as usual, to see if there would be a foul for forward handing.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 10:07am
tpaul

Andrew,
He hands it forward but the trick is they are trying to get you to think it is a foul but if you know the definition of "forward handing." That is one player hands it to another. In this play the B23 "muffs" the ball thus "handing" never happened - ie "muff." No foul. B's ball where it went OOB.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Andrew,
He hands it forward but the trick is they are trying to get you to think it is a foul but if you know the definition of "forward handing." That is one player hands it to another. In this play the B23 "muffs" the ball thus "handing" never happened - ie "muff." No foul. B's ball where it went OOB.
tpaul, I agree it is not a foul, but is a fumble, not a muff.

2-19-1 says "handing the ball is transferring player possession from one player to a teammate in such a way that the ball is in still in contact with the first player when it is touched by the teammate. Handing the ball is not a pass. Loss of player possession by unsuccessful execution of attempting handing is a fumble."

For NF, the muff or fumble IN THIS CASE makes no difference, but in NCAA, we it does cuz we have a FFumble OOB's which is returned to the spot of the fumble.

Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFL rules this would be an incomplete illegal forward pass. A forward pass is defined as one which initially moves forward after leaving the passer's
hands or one which is handed to a player who is in
advance of the teammate from whose hands he takes or receives it. Loss of 5 from spot of such illegal pass.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by golfnref
Under NFL rules this would be an incomplete illegal forward pass. A forward pass is defined as one which initially moves forward after leaving the passer's
advance of the teammate from whose hands he takes or receives it. Loss of 5 from spot of such illegal pass.
REPLY: But if I'm not mistaken, that's only true for forward handoffs that occur beyond the line of scrimmage. Isn't that correct MJT??
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 08:58pm
tpaul

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by tpaul
tpaul, I agree it is not a foul, but is a fumble, not a muff.

2-19-1 says "handing the ball is transferring player possession from one player to a teammate in such a way that the ball is in still in contact with the first player when it is touched by the teammate. Handing the ball is not a pass. Loss of player possession by unsuccessful execution of attempting handing is a fumble."

For NF, the muff or fumble IN THIS CASE makes no difference, but in NCAA, we it does cuz we have a FFumble OOB's which is returned to the spot of the fumble.
MJT,
You are correct! I muffed that one...LOL
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 08:59pm
tpaul

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
[i]
REPLY: But if I'm not mistaken, that's only true for forward handoffs that occur beyond the line of scrimmage. Isn't that correct MJT??
Bob, the play I listed was after a change of possesion...
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
I responded to the original play which was not from scrimmage. A ball handed forwarded to an eligible receiver behind the line is treated as a fumble if he muffs it. A ball handed forward to an ineligible receiver behind the line is treated as a forward pass.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
golfnref is correct cuz there is not a LOS cuz of the COP. He is correct on the defn of a forward pass, and it DOES matter if it is behind, or beyond the LOS. NFL rule 8-1-7 supplemental note #1 states "A ball handed forward (no daylight) to an ELIGIBLE receiver behind the line is treated as a fumble if he muffs it. A ball handed forward to an INELIGIBLE receiver behind the line is treated as a forward pass and remains in play when caught (unless intercepted by B in which case the play continues)." If there is no LOS, which is the case here, we would have an IFP, as stated by golfnref.

Golfnref, thanks for the NFL info you emailed me. I printed it off, and will be looking at it on Sunday. It is good to have some NFL talk. Take care!
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 09:26pm
tpaul

Quote:
[i]I responded to the original play which was not from scrimmage. A ball handed forwarded to an eligible receiver behind the line is treated as a fumble if he muffs it. A ball handed forward to an ineligible receiver behind the line is treated as a forward pass. [/B]
golfnref,
don't be upset of somebody's reply. I know I don't reply to most who reply with NFL answers because I don't know the NFL rules well enough.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

golfnref, I see you only have 6 posts, and just registered in June. Nice to have you on board, you will love it! Great guys, with great knowledge to learn from. Welcome!!!