The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

1. FG attempt from 23 yard line and the holder is on one knee awaiting the snap. The snap is high and the holder rises slightly to get the snap, immediately returns to one knee for the kick.

2. FG attempt from 23 yard line and the holder is on one knee awaiting the snap. The snap is low and bounces once on the way to the holder and he rises slightly to get the snap, immediately returns to one knee for the kick.

3. The ball has the forward point just touching the 25 yard line. On 4th and 8 team A throws an incomplete pass. The ball is placed with the forward point just touching the “outside edge” of the 25 yard line. Is this correct, or not?

4. On a legal forward pass play, A88 and B13 simultaneously catch the pass at the B 25 yardline, and continue running together with it to the B 20 before A wrestles it away from B13 and runs for a TD.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

NF Rules. Trying it without the book.

1. Legal

2. Ball is dead when holder places knee back on the ground.

3. Ball should be placed in exact same position on the field. Box should be moved about 11 inches to new front point of ball and then the chains set.

4. Ball is dead at point of simultaneous possession and belongs to A. Blow your whistle!
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules:

1. Legal play by the holder. Ball remains live.
2. Ball is dead when holder returns his knee(s) to the ground.
3. Is it 4th and 8 from A's 25 or B's 25 yard line? In any case, the ball is placed at the exact spot where it was on 4th down. Then the box is set at the other point of the ball and its 1st and 10 for B.
4. Assuming both A and B returned to the ground at the B25, the ball is dead and belongs to A at that spot.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 02:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

1. Legal.

2. Legal.

3. Correct.

4. TD.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Mike and Opie have it right.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Just a question from a first year official.

If it is legal and the play continues when the holder rises to get a high snap and returns to one knee (as in play a), why is it a dead ball when the holder rises to get a bouncing snap and returns to one knee (as in play b).

Please help me get a better understanding of this so I don't mess it up next year.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by IAUMP

If it is legal and the play continues when the holder rises to get a high snap and returns to one knee (as in play a), why is it a dead ball when the holder rises to get a bouncing snap and returns to one knee (as in play b).

Please help me get a better understanding of this so I don't mess it up next year.
The simple answer - dems da rules.

The difference is the snap on the ground. If you lift your knee to field a snap that has been grounded you can't place your knee on the ground again. You may, however, crawl after a bad snap.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IAUMP

For whatever, that is simply what the rule is in NF. See casebook rules 4.2.2C and 4.2.2D. The exact senarios are located there. In NCAA both 1 and 2 would be legal.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
OK, now the snap goes bad. The holder rises, runs over to the ball, the kicker does likewise. The snapper returns to the ground, recovers the kick, and the kicker sends it through the uprights.
Whatta ya got?

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
OK, now the snap goes bad. The holder rises, runs over to the ball, the kicker does likewise. The snapper returns to the ground, recovers the kick, and the kicker sends it through the uprights.
Whatta ya got?
It's dead when the holder puts his knee to the ground.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
It's dead when the holder puts his knee to the ground.
Why Walt? ...He doesn't have the ball in his possession then.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

The holder is in possession of a ball when he is controlling it for a kick as in this case with the ball held on the ground.

The exception to the dead-ball/down-over rule only applies when the holder has to rise to catch a high snap and he immediately gets back down on his knees to spot the ball for the kicker.

The exception does not apply once the holders knees have come off the ground to recover a snapped ball that he had muffed or fumbled or had to chase down for whatever reason.

It's all detailed out in rule #4.
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Do you guys have a specific ruling that backs that up? I have never seen any place that says a holder cannot recover the ball in order to complete the kick. They only thing I have ever read about this is they make a specific ruling on a high snap and say that is OK. But I have never read where you could not recover a snap as a holder, as long as you are trying to complete the kick. Now if you get up and look like you are going to run, that is another story. I would like an official ruling, not just "that is the way it is" talk.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

4.2.2 situation D in the case book (somewhere along the way I lost my rule book) but that play backs up the ball is dead case.

Have a Merry Christmas!
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-a-2 specifically states that the ball remains alive if he "rises and catches and errant snap and immediately returns his knee(s) to the ground". In the example given...

The holder does not rise "AND CATCH" the errant snap, the snap was not controlled until he returned his knees to the ground. In MHO the catch (gaining possession) must occur BEFORE the knee(s) are returned to the ground, not after as stated.