The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a game on Friday night, in which my wing man made a block in the back call. It was an interception, and the defender returned the interception 40 yards for a TD. I was the umpire and was watching all of the blocks surrounding the runner. The wing man called the block in the back at about the 10 yard line. I was able to see the block as clear as day, and it was SO OBVIOUS that the block was on the side which anyone could tell just by the way the player fell to the ground. I tried talking to the R before he made the initial signal, but he didnt want an argument over the call, so he made the signal and had me mark off the penalty. After the play, I saw the coach chewing out his player for the block, in which I could hear the player telling his coach that the block was on his side. It took all the energy I had just to bite my tongue. I tried speaking to the wing man after the game, and his attitude was like, I made the call and that was the end of it. I couldnt beleive he wouldnt own up to his mistake. Does anyone have any good advice how to handle a situation like this?

[Edited by bjudge on Sep 26th, 2004 at 04:01 PM]