Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
Re: What is that going to solve?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Patsfan2431
Guys,

My opinion is simply this, come together and talk. Communication is key for all crews at any level. Come together, talk about what happened. I dont care if it takes five minutes, our job is to get it right. Cant really comment on the play because i wasn't there, but it seems the communication def. was absent.
Coming together is not going to solve anything if the calling official feels he saw the play.

I think this is splitting hairs. Both officials saw two different things, it does not mean you have to "get it right" in that situation.

Peace
I cant disagree more. Our job is to "get it right". When a call like this occurs during a game my crew works, we play a game called "what did you see". The officials involved in the foul/non-foul/enforcement come together with the referee and we explain what we saw. In every situation, another official may have had a better angle or may have noticed something before the foul that would help with the enforcement. I have experienced instances on the high school and NCAA level where communication can really help during a call like this.

In addition, if the calling offical "feels" he has the play right, and another official who also saw the play has a different "feeling", then a conference is a must. Its possible that one official didnt see the whole play. So to your comment that coming together will not solve anything, your right, it wont. Because the correct call may not have been called.