The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 30, 2021, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 731
Liveball vs deadball USC

Just checking, as I do not see anything super-special about this penalty enforcement.

Ball on A45, 3rd and 10. A5 takes snap in shotgun formation, takes a couple steps backward and drops to a knee on A38. R throws flag for USC on Team A that occurs a) during the down; or b) after the down.

In a) The basic spot is the succeeding spot for the USC (10-4-5-a). 15 yards from the enforcement spot based on ABO. Repeat 3rd down.

In b) The basic spot is the succeeding spot for both USC and a dead ball penalties (10-4-5-a and 10-4-5-b). 15 yards from the basic spot. 4th down.

In both a and b, game clock starts on the ready.


Edit: I should note that both of these assume the penalty is accepted. Team B may choose to decline the penalty, which in both a) and b) would make it 4th down from the succeeding spot. Clock on the ready.

Last edited by Altor; Mon Aug 30, 2021 at 04:09pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 30, 2021, 06:31pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,882
The NF rule says all USC fouls are succeeding spot fouls, live or dead ball, and the down counts on both situations as well.

That is pretty clear in 10-5.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 11:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is pretty clear in 10-5.
I'm apparently having trouble with it.

10-5-1-c lists unfair acts and references 9-9. A USC by a player is not an unfair act as defined in 9-9, it is an unsportsmanlike act defined in 9-5. The fouls in 9-5 are not referenced anywhere else in 10-5-1.

10-5-2,3,4,5,& 6 don't apply to this play as described.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 11:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 731
OK. I see something now under "Football Fundamentals" that explains this. It would be nice if they put that in the actual rule for penalty enforcement, because Rules 9 and 10 do not make that clear on their own.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,882
I'm sorry, I reference 10-5 instead of 10-4-5.

It clearly says that the basic spot is the succeeding spot and 10-4-5a says, "For an unsportsmanlike foul.

It is right in the rule.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 11:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Just checking, as I do not see anything super-special about this penalty enforcement.

Ball on A45, 3rd and 10. A5 takes snap in shotgun formation, takes a couple steps backward and drops to a knee on A38. R throws flag for USC on Team A that occurs a) during the down; or b) after the down.
What I'd like to know is, if they're taking a knee, what business does any official have seeing USC unless it's a disqualifying and reportable-to-the-league foul?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 12:28pm
Chain of Fools
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What I'd like to know is, if they're taking a knee, what business does any official have seeing USC unless it's a disqualifying and reportable-to-the-league foul?
Who said anything about taking a knee correlating to the USC foul?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Who said anything about taking a knee correlating to the USC foul?
I think he is wondering what could happen in that situation where you have to even call a USC foul? I can see it happening, but I also do not see this as something to go looking for either.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I'm sorry, I reference 10-5 instead of 10-4-5.

It clearly says that the basic spot is the succeeding spot and 10-4-5a says, "For an unsportsmanlike foul.

It is right in the rule.

Peace
Yes, it says that's the basic spot. But, it doesn't say anything about not applying ABO. And it doesn't say that you don't replay the down. That information is in the "Football Fundamentals" section.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What I'd like to know is, if they're taking a knee, what business does any official have seeing USC unless it's a disqualifying and reportable-to-the-league foul?
There is a lot more to this play that I'm not going to get into here. I was not on the field, but I'm assuming a player from Team A said something that R felt he could not ignore.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 10:13pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Yes, it says that's the basic spot. But, it doesn't say anything about not applying ABO. And it doesn't say that you don't replay the down. That information is in the "Football Fundamentals" section.
If the penalty says the basic spot is the succeeding spot for that kind of foul, do not complicate it. ABO does not apply the same way even in the rulebook. You trying to apply something where the rule and casebooks make this kind of clear.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 01, 2021, 08:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If the penalty says the basic spot is the succeeding spot for that kind of foul, do not complicate it. ABO does not apply the same way even in the rulebook. You trying to apply something where the rule and casebooks make this kind of clear.
I wonder if anyone would ever apply the "One" of the All But One for a non-contact foul, considering it occurs in head space rather than field space.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 01, 2021, 10:08am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I wonder if anyone would ever apply the "One" of the All But One for a non-contact foul, considering it occurs in head space rather than field space.
Well they shouldn't, considering that USC fouls are all non-contact and/or non-player fouls at the NF level. That is why the rule says they are succeeding spot fouls. So you cannot use ABO in that case.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 09, 2021, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marshall, MI
Posts: 377
IF it is under 2 minutes in either halve, the offending team has the option to have the clock start on the snap.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Sep 10, 2021, 09:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
IF it is under 2 minutes in either halve, the offending team has the option to have the clock start on the snap.
NFHS:3-5-7 indicates, "When a penalty is accepted with less that 2 minutes remaining in either half, the ]OFFENDED team will have the option to start the clock on the snap."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deadball USC Suudy Football 8 Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33am
Deadball PF vs Roughing the Passer - help NWMichiganRef Football 6 Fri Oct 13, 2006 02:18pm
Deadball dh898 Football 4 Fri Sep 16, 2005 01:17pm
Deadball on Kickoff trainman52 Football 7 Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:43am
12 men on the field - deadball? 7Rock Football 14 Wed Oct 23, 2002 02:14pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1