The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 05, 2019, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

PAT Trick Play

I had a team run a trick play against us our last game which I do not think is legal in high school football. The opposing team lined up in something similar to the old water bucket formation for extra point after TD. The center snapped the ball to the kick holder on one knee and the receiver well away to the right side ran around behind the holder and received a backwards toss with the holder's knee still on the ground. The receiver went on to score.
I believe the holder's knee must come off the ground before he can pitch or pass the ball for this to the a legal play in HS. I know this is legal at the college level but I think I remember reading somewhere in the past rule book that this is illegal in HS.
Am I correct in my thinking?
Old Tue Nov 05, 2019, 12:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Yes. In NFHS play, it's dead when pitched/passed from a knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun Nov 10, 2019, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Wolf View Post
I had a team run a trick play against us our last game which I do not think is legal in high school football. The opposing team lined up in something similar to the old water bucket formation for extra point after TD. The center snapped the ball to the kick holder on one knee and the receiver well away to the right side ran around behind the holder and received a backwards toss with the holder's knee still on the ground. The receiver went on to score.
I believe the holder's knee must come off the ground before he can pitch or pass the ball for this to the a legal play in HS. I know this is legal at the college level but I think I remember reading somewhere in the past rule book that this is illegal in HS.
Am I correct in my thinking?
Are you sure the knee was still on the ground. From what was discussed years ago about a play in Michigan, the holder can lift his knee from the ground on a play like this before pitching the ball. I would guess the officials felt his knee had come up, or missed the call.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2019, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Of course his knee was on the ground at the time of the pitch. In fact he remained in that position as the play continued as I kept my eyes on the holder pointing at him telling the head official that was an illegal play. Why would I describe that way if that was not the case. I had a perfect view from the 25 yard line.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Wolf View Post
Of course his knee was on the ground at the time of the pitch. In fact he remained in that position as the play continued as I kept my eyes on the holder pointing at him telling the head official that was an illegal play. Why would I describe that way if that was not the case. I had a perfect view from the 25 yard line.
Only 2 possible answers; 1: the covering official DID NOT see what you believe you saw, or 2: He DID SEE what you were looking at and reached a different conclusion.

Either way, it's not likely the decision will change.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2019, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

The game is over and didn't expect a change in his decision once the play was over and we moved on and completed the game. We have had a game since then and that play is water under the bridge. I just wanted to make sure of what should have been the correct ruling on the play.
It is not a matter of me being sure of what I thought I saw or believed what I thought I saw; I know what I saw and his knee was on the ground and remained on the ground as I explained in the earlier post. Given where I was at on the 25 yard line and the angle to the kick holder was approximately 35 yards. From that distance it was clear and very visible as to where his knee was at and any kind of movement it might have done.
Look I just came here as I do occasionally to get a ruling confirmation, simple as that. I received the correct judgment from the 1st poster who gave me the answer. Now I have people questioning me and indicating to me that I don't know what I saw. It is insulting, and now I am done replying on this subject.
I really appreciate this forum and the professional answers I get but not challenging me on the scenarios I present which are always factual with no fictitious information.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2019, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. Under NCAA rules, this is a legal play.