The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Ten seconds left in the game. Team A has no time outs left. A1's fairly long pass is complete downfield to A88 who tries to run out-of-bounds. He is about to get tackled inbounds, so he tosses the ball backwards out-of-bounds, losing maybe a yard or two, but stopping the clock.

I've got this as legal under Federation rules.

I would think coaches would actually design plays with this in mind. Any thoughts?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

I think there's a lot of risk involved in the play. That's probably why you don't see it. Tell a HS player to toss the ball backwards OOB may be more risk than most coaches are willing to take.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Wow! I had never thought of such an ingenious idea before. LOL! I like that, but it does have an element of risk to it.

Something to think about in the interpretation of the rules concerning a backward pass out of bounds is how does it play into the delay of game rules?

Hmm...
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

It is a legal play in NFHS. Under NCAA, it's a foul, 5 yds and the clock will START ON THE READY.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 07:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

How about this one?

A ball on their own 20 with only seconds left down by one point. QB drops back and completes a pass to a receiver that runs all the way down to B's 10 yard line. He realizes he's not going to score so he throws the ball forward to a blocker who takes the ball into the endzone.

Illegal forward pass. Decline the penalty and A has a touchdown. Accept the penalty and A will get an untimed down they can use to leisurely kick a game winning field goal.

Anything to stop this? I realize this would be pretty hard to pull off.

Rich
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

>>A ball on their own 20 with only seconds left down by one point. QB drops back and completes a pass to a receiver that runs all the way down to B's 10 yard line. He realizes he's not going to score so he throws the ball forward to a blocker who takes the ball into the endzone.<<

If the illegal pass is incomplete and the penalty is declined, I think you have to start the clock on the ready. Otherwise, you allow the offense to gain an advantage by committing an illegal act.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TNDavid
>>A ball on their own 20 with only seconds left down by one point. QB drops back and completes a pass to a receiver that runs all the way down to B's 10 yard line. He realizes he's not going to score so he throws the ball forward to a blocker who takes the ball into the endzone.<<

If the illegal pass is incomplete and the penalty is declined, I think you have to start the clock on the ready. Otherwise, you allow the offense to gain an advantage by committing an illegal act.
Clock rules say the the clock will be stopped when a legal or illegal forward pass is incomplete and will start on the snap. We can't change that.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

So its better for B is the ineligible in question catches it and stays inbounds (but doesn't score - that'll stop it, too).
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Quote:
Originally posted by TNDavid

Clock rules say the the clock will be stopped when a legal or illegal forward pass is incomplete and will start on the snap. We can't change that.

Yes we can...check out Case 3.6.3 Situation A. If an incomplete illegal forward pass was made for the purpose of conserving time, the referee is authorized to start the clock on the ready.

I again go back to my original post...a deliberately incomplete backward pass is not illegal and thus can be used to stop the clock.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Correct. Backward pass OOB stops the clock. No foul since there is no intentional grounding on a backward pass.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

The original play is not against the rules. Why ask it twice?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. RDfox's reference to CB 3.6.3.A brings out one thing that bugs me with NF rules.

They are quite clear in 3-4-3-e that the clock is to start on the snap when a legal or illegal FP is incomplete but yet in 3-6-3 several pages later, they give us what is an "exception" to that rule.
What is so hard about putting a pointer to that exception right into 3-4-3? Are they that pigheaded to use the words "exception" in the rules? (my answer is yes they are)

So, if team-A uses an illegal forward pass to kill the clock because the runner wasn't able to make it into the EZ, then by all means the clock should be started on RFP.
Even the NCAA code agrees with this.

However, if it were a backward pass OOB, then I and others are saying to start the clock on the snap as does a play in the FRD manual. NF rule 3-6-3 doesn't kick in because as currently written, it is not illegal to toss a pass backwards (and OOB). Not so for NCAA, but that's not the question.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2003, 02:25am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by rdfox
Ten seconds left in the game. Team A has no time outs left. A1's fairly long pass is complete downfield to A88 who tries to run out-of-bounds. He is about to get tackled inbounds, so he tosses the ball backwards out-of-bounds, losing maybe a yard or two, but stopping the clock.

I've got this as legal under Federation rules.

I would think coaches would actually design plays with this in mind. Any thoughts?
Nothing illegal about this in Canada, and the ball is spotted at the OOB point. Since we're under 3 minutes, the clock will start on the snap because FP is OOB.

Mike