The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 10:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Kickoff Recovery in the Endzone

Hi everyone, first of all my apologies in advance because im not an english native speaker/writer.

Last week, i was in a game and the ref. call a TD on a recovery in the endzone, one coach argumented the call saying the recovery was a Touchback, the other one keep silent and take the points.

the situation was:

A Team kick off the ball.
B team Receive the ball.

The ball hit the endzone and stay there, the B Team's coach scream to his player do not touch the ball, and let the A Team recover the ball, i think he was confused with a punt recovery and Kick off recovery.

The A team (Kicking team) recover the ball in the endzone and was awarded with a TD by the ref.

the question is: was that call correct or was a mistake ?? if the call was wrong, what its the correct call ??

I thought the call was correct because after 10 yards, the ball its free and was recovery inside the endzone by the kicking team.

Thanks in advance to everyone who spend time to read my post.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:16pm
KWH KWH is offline
Small Business Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Portland Oregon USA
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileColts View Post
Hi everyone, first of all my apologies in advance because im not an english native speaker/writer.

Last week, i was in a game and the ref. call a TD on a recovery in the endzone, one coach argumented the call saying the recovery was a Touchback, the other one keep silent and take the points.

the situation was:

A Team kick off the ball.
B team Receive the ball.

The ball hit the endzone and stay there, the B Team's coach scream to his player do not touch the ball, and let the A Team recover the ball, i think he was confused with a punt recovery and Kick off recovery.

The A team (Kicking team) recover the ball in the endzone and was awarded with a TD by the ref.

the question is: was that call correct or was a mistake ?? if the call was wrong, what its the correct call ??

I thought the call was correct because after 10 yards, the ball its free and was recovery inside the end-zone by the kicking team.

Thanks in advance to everyone who spend time to read my post.
The rules are different depending on if the game is played under NCAA rules or NFHS rules.
However,
In your play, as described, the ball did not touch a team B (or R) player before touching the ground in the end-zone.
As such, Touchback would be the correct ruling in NCAA

Touchback would also be correct in NFHS as any Kick that breaks the plane of R's goal line is a touchback by rule.
__________________
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Kickoff Recovery in the Endzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
The rules are different depending on if the game is played under NCAA rules or NFHS rules.
However,
In your play, as described, the ball did not touch a team B (or R) player before touching the ground in the end-zone.
As such, Touchback would be the correct ruling in NCAA

Touchback would also be correct in NFHS as any Kick that breaks the plane of R's goal line is a touchback by rule.
Thanks for the aswer. There is a way to call a TD on that play ? maybe the receiving team touch the ball o whatever, i thought the call was correct because after 10 yards the ball its live, but maybe that's work on NFL rules only !

thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileColts View Post
Thanks for the aswer. There is a way to call a TD on that play ? maybe the receiving team touch the ball o whatever, i thought the call was correct because after 10 yards the ball its live, but maybe that's work on NFL rules only !
It is possible you play by NFL rules where you are, in which case if the ball touched ground in the field of play before touching in the end zone, either team's player may recover.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recovery after games ChicagoLJ Football 20 Thu Sep 17, 2009 09:11pm
Recovery Time BigUmp56 Baseball 10 Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:27am
Postgame recovery lwhicks3 Football 13 Tue Aug 28, 2007 08:24am
Fumble recovery bluedevil_coach Football 6 Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:48am
Recovery Just Curious Basketball 3 Mon Nov 12, 2001 10:01pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1