The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Kickoff Recovery in the Endzone

Hi everyone, first of all my apologies in advance because im not an english native speaker/writer.

Last week, i was in a game and the ref. call a TD on a recovery in the endzone, one coach argumented the call saying the recovery was a Touchback, the other one keep silent and take the points.

the situation was:

A Team kick off the ball.
B team Receive the ball.

The ball hit the endzone and stay there, the B Team's coach scream to his player do not touch the ball, and let the A Team recover the ball, i think he was confused with a punt recovery and Kick off recovery.

The A team (Kicking team) recover the ball in the endzone and was awarded with a TD by the ref.

the question is: was that call correct or was a mistake ?? if the call was wrong, what its the correct call ??

I thought the call was correct because after 10 yards, the ball its free and was recovery inside the endzone by the kicking team.

Thanks in advance to everyone who spend time to read my post.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:16pm
Small Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileColts View Post
Hi everyone, first of all my apologies in advance because im not an english native speaker/writer.

Last week, i was in a game and the ref. call a TD on a recovery in the endzone, one coach argumented the call saying the recovery was a Touchback, the other one keep silent and take the points.

the situation was:

A Team kick off the ball.
B team Receive the ball.

The ball hit the endzone and stay there, the B Team's coach scream to his player do not touch the ball, and let the A Team recover the ball, i think he was confused with a punt recovery and Kick off recovery.

The A team (Kicking team) recover the ball in the endzone and was awarded with a TD by the ref.

the question is: was that call correct or was a mistake ?? if the call was wrong, what its the correct call ??

I thought the call was correct because after 10 yards, the ball its free and was recovery inside the end-zone by the kicking team.

Thanks in advance to everyone who spend time to read my post.
The rules are different depending on if the game is played under NCAA rules or NFHS rules.
However,
In your play, as described, the ball did not touch a team B (or R) player before touching the ground in the end-zone.
As such, Touchback would be the correct ruling in NCAA

Touchback would also be correct in NFHS as any Kick that breaks the plane of R's goal line is a touchback by rule.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Kickoff Recovery in the Endzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
The rules are different depending on if the game is played under NCAA rules or NFHS rules.
However,
In your play, as described, the ball did not touch a team B (or R) player before touching the ground in the end-zone.
As such, Touchback would be the correct ruling in NCAA

Touchback would also be correct in NFHS as any Kick that breaks the plane of R's goal line is a touchback by rule.
Thanks for the aswer. There is a way to call a TD on that play ? maybe the receiving team touch the ball o whatever, i thought the call was correct because after 10 yards the ball its live, but maybe that's work on NFL rules only !

thanks again
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileColts View Post
Thanks for the aswer. There is a way to call a TD on that play ? maybe the receiving team touch the ball o whatever, i thought the call was correct because after 10 yards the ball its live, but maybe that's work on NFL rules only !
It is possible you play by NFL rules where you are, in which case if the ball touched ground in the field of play before touching in the end zone, either team's player may recover.