Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 22, 2017, 11:57am
Chain of Fools

Fed press release link

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/new-bl...hool-football/
Old Sun Feb 26, 2017, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I've been writing my takes at coaching discussion sites on the announced Fed football changes, but at least one of them I think deserves special discussion here:

Because of the way Fed defines the snap's extent in time (unlike NCAA, where the snap ends when the ball leaves the snapper's hands), if the press release is accurate, the snap will become a free pass in Fed. (It'll be like the way many people play half-court basketball, where the throw-in after a goal can't be intercepted, but unlike that game, there's no requirement of a subsequent pass in football 11s.) That'll make no difference to the most common styles of snap, but when you think about it, it makes a profound difference to certain other styles.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I've been writing my takes at coaching discussion sites on the announced Fed football changes, but at least one of them I think deserves special discussion here:

Because of the way Fed defines the snap's extent in time (unlike NCAA, where the snap ends when the ball leaves the snapper's hands), if the press release is accurate, the snap will become a free pass in Fed. (It'll be like the way many people play half-court basketball, where the throw-in after a goal can't be intercepted, but unlike that game, there's no requirement of a subsequent pass in football 11s.) That'll make no difference to the most common styles of snap, but when you think about it, it makes a profound difference to certain other styles.
I think you are, as usual, reading to much into this...it is stopping the crazy trying to knock the ball out of the snappers hand during a knee...that is all...
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
I think you are, as usual, reading to much into this...it is stopping the crazy trying to knock the ball out of the snappers hand during a knee...that is all...
So you're saying the wording in the press release wouldn't apply to a player of team B's getting a hand on a snap that's slung far & shallow to a side of the field? What about it gives you confidence that won't be ruled encroachment?
Old Tue Feb 28, 2017, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you're saying the wording in the press release wouldn't apply to a player of team B's getting a hand on a snap that's slung far & shallow to a side of the field? What about it gives you confidence that won't be ruled encroachment?
It's called the case book, and judgement. and you should read what the definition of a snap is...
Old Tue Feb 28, 2017, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As bcl1127 suggests Robert, NFHS 2-40-1,2 & 3 explain, this new rule adjustment seems to fit well the condition you describe.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
As bcl1127 suggests Robert, NFHS 2-40-1,2 & 3 explain, this new rule adjustment seems to fit well the condition you describe.
We're reading the same definition, so how do you think this rule adjustment won't produce an encroachment foul in that situation?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're reading the same definition, so how do you think this rule adjustment won't produce an encroachment foul in that situation?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "that situation", but if you are referencing a situation where a defensive player attempting to slap, a snap (in ANY direction) in such a manner that it also violated 9-4-6 (Roughing the snapper) unless there was distinct separation between the actions, I would consider the attempted interference with the snap as a component, or part, of the greater violation of Roughing the snapper, and consider both actions as a single Dead Ball foul.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7-1-6: Now stipulates that it is encroachment to strike the ball or the snapper’s hand/arm prior to the snapper releasing the ball.

Rationale: Defensive players are restricted from contacting the ball or the snapper’s hand(s) or arm(s) until the snapper has released the ball
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
7-1-6: Now stipulates that it is encroachment to strike the ball or the snapper’s hand/arm prior to the snapper releasing the ball.

Rationale: Defensive players are restricted from contacting the ball or the snapper’s hand(s) or arm(s) until the snapper has released the ball
I went by the wording of the press release:
Quote:
In addition, now defensive players are restricted from contacting the ball prior to the end of the snap or making contact with the snapper’s hand(s) or arm(s) until the snapper has released the ball.
Where did your quote come from? I sure hope either the p.r. got it wrong, or they had 2nd thoughts after it came out, & adopted the wording you quoted.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 02:01pm
Chain of Fools

A press release is merely a synopsis of the rule change. It isn't meant to be used to interpret the actual rule.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
A press release is merely a synopsis of the rule change. It isn't meant to be used to interpret the actual rule.
Of course, but where did bcl1127 get his summary statement?
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 08:04am
Chain of Fools

http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-...-changes-2017/
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Beat me to it.
Old Thu Mar 09, 2017, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Now I'm wondering why Fed even cares about who advertises on game balls. Their "Rationale" isn't a rationale at all, just an elaboration.