The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
OSU-Michigan: Mouthpiece timeout

During the 3rd quarter of the OSU-Michigan game, OSU was required to use a timeout because a player didn't have his mouth piece in his mouth (it was in the helmet). The commentators said that the "forced timeout" was the right call, but after a quick scan of the NCAA rule book, I can't find support for the timeout being required. The only thing I could find was that the player should not be allowed to participate without the proper equipment, and that he would have to leave for a minimum of 1 play if play were stopped because of failure to wear the appropriate equipment unless a timeout is used.

Did I miss something? If so, please point me to the correct rule. I don't work college or have a dog in the fight, so this is really just a curiosity issue.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

No answer for you but...

Good for Capron's crew flagging Harbaugh for his antics.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 07:32am
Chain of Fools

Didn't you answer your own question, Boomer?

Quote:
The only thing I could find was that the player should not be allowed to participate without the proper equipment, and that he would have to leave for a minimum of 1 play if play were stopped because of failure to wear the appropriate equipment unless a timeout is used.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 10:17am
TODO: creative title here

I swear I replied to this last night, but apparently the internet gods ate my post.

Anyway, a charged timeout for this is correct, and it's not optional... I believe it's in AR 1.4.8.I, although I don't have my book handy at the moment.

In the real world, of course, we'll give them a couple of verbal "get your mouthguard in" warnings before we take this step... I'm sure the coach was warned too. Since it got to the point of actually calling the timeout, I'm sure the player and coach were warned several times first.

And yes, good on Mr. Capron's crew to penalized the coaches antics.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Do you ever wonder, if these fools realize how really childish and dopey they look when they're ranting and raving? Sure, sometimes they're frustrated, but usually after about age 6, or maybe 7, you learn that throwing a tantrum rarely pays off (with officials on a football field, it's closer to NEVER) and is more likely to lead to bigger problems.

In NFHS games there's 3-5-2b designed SPECIFICALLY to provide a process where a coach can question (argue) anything he wants, the only(real) restriction is that he has to do so, like an adult, respectfully, but the odds are he'll be paid A LOT MORE ATTENTION TO, and it may cost a charged TO.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2016, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
a charged timeout for this is correct
To be clear, there is no time out requirement. The player must leave for at least one play but the team may "buy" him back in the game with a charged TO. This was a 2015 change.

Prior to that, failure to wear proper equipment did lead to a charged TO. This was rarely enforced, however.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

I will start this comment by indicating I am a Michigan fan.

I felt this was one of the worst officiated college football games I have witnessed in a major conference.

First, there is the judgment of the 4th and 1 placement in OT. I still don't think the ball actually got to the line, but that is a judgment call and we have to live with that decision.

Second, the lack of offensive holding calls, when several obvious holding calls were missed. I have been watching football for over 30 years and I can never recall watching a game without at least 1 offensive holding call during the game. I went back through the play by play and not 1 single offensive holding was called all game long.

Third, the lack of line of scrimmage movement calls. There were several instances where there was movement by the offensive team (both teams) prior to the snap that was not call. One of these was on an early Michigan TD where one of the backs was clearly in motion prior to the snap, and it was not called. There were also several instances were the offensive lineman moved early and it wasn't called.

Next, inconsistency in the pass defense calls. When they made calls, they generally were good calls, but there were numerous instances where the defense made clearly illegal contact on a receiver it was not flagged.

Finally, there were several rulings which I can find a rules justification for. One is the charged timeout to OSU.

I'm not saying the crew was completely out of touch. Harbaugh absolutely should have been flagged for USC when he was. The flag wasn't for the throwing the objects, for the F-bomb he dropped when he threw the stuff. In fact I only saw one flag thrown that I questioned in this game, and having watched the replays as well. The calls they made were generally good, it was what was not called both ways that was he issue. Too much was let go that impacted the game both ways.

I will end by saying Michigan did not lose because of officiating. They lost because of two terrible passes by the QB, and a fumble which cost them a likely TD which would have seriously swung momentum in their favor. Michigan simply did not make the plays that OSU did.

Finally, I do have an issue with this crew being assigned to the game. This crew apparently has three members from either Michigan or Ohio, two of which (1 from each school) that have clearly demonstrated fan connections to the schools in question. In a game of this magnitude the Big Ten Conference should not have had anything that resembles a conflict of interest. This falls squarely on the conference for their assigning and not on the officials.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Finally, I do have an issue with this crew being assigned to the game. This crew apparently has three members from either Michigan or Ohio, two of which (1 from each school) that have clearly demonstrated fan connections to the schools in question. In a game of this magnitude the Big Ten Conference should not have had anything that resembles a conflict of interest. This falls squarely on the conference for their assigning and not on the officials.
In baseball, I've attended two schools and lectured at three others in the same conference. I happen to officiate in that conference.

If we were to agree with your argument, you would severely limit the number of qualified officials that officiate any given team, and for no legitimate reason whatsoever.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
In baseball, I've attended two schools and lectured at three others in the same conference. I happen to officiate in that conference.

If we were to agree with your argument, you would severely limit the number of qualified officials that officiate any given team, and for no legitimate reason whatsoever.
I think there is a big difference between lecturing at a school and being a proclaimed fan of the school.

Also, we are not talking about a single baseball game in a season of 40 some games. I'm talking about a game with literally millions of dollars riding on the result.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 11:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I will start this comment by indicating I am a Michigan fan.
That was plainly obvious by the rest of your post. Fanboy much? Good grief.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 09:14am
Official & ***** Member

"I will end by saying Michigan did not lose because of officiating. They lost because of two terrible passes by the QB, and a fumble which cost them a likely TD which would have seriously swung momentum in their favor. Michigan simply did not make the plays that OSU did."

Please pass this on to your lunatic head coach. It may save him $10K in the future.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
there is the judgment of the 4th and 1 placement in OT
Which was correct.

Quote:
when several obvious holding calls were missed. I have been watching football for over 30 years
With all due respect, you have no idea what holding is and you'll never learn what it is by "watching," regardless of how long. Have you ever actually read the rule? Assuming you have, do you know what the philosophies used by the CFO and the Big 10? Officials in all conferences are graded each week on the calls they made and the calls they passed on. The newest officials in any conference learn by the end of the first week what the conference wants called -- and a lot of that is based on what the coaches in the conference want called. ALL of it is based on what the coaches on the rules committee want called. Finally, have you ever actually had to rule on potential holding during a game, and then had your calls critiqued by a professional?

With that said, can you be specific about which calls were missed -- quarter, time, etc.? We can probably correct you on many of those.

Quote:
but there were numerous instances where the defense made clearly illegal contact on a receiver it was not flagged.
What exactly is "illegal contact" and can you quote the NCAA rule that covers that?

You are most likely thinking of rules for other leagues.

Quote:
there were several rulings which I can find a rules justification for. One is the charged timeout to OSU.
Assuming you mean "can't," that was the point of this thread and its been made clear the ruling was correct. Ohio State called the time out themselves. Why wouldn't they be charged with it?

Quote:
This crew apparently has three members from either Michigan or Ohio, two of which (1 from each school) that have clearly demonstrated fan connections to the schools in question.
So let me get this straight: YOU, as an admitted fan of Michigan, can hold yourself out as being a fair arbiter, but 3 people who have worked football for (likely) over 20 years, have probably over 500 games officiated, and have been checked out sufficiently by a conference so the conference knows they are getting a professional, can not?

Can you explain that, because it doesn't wash.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

24 hours ... crickets ... not surprised.

West Houston Mike