The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Question

I had a game last night where A quarterback was running around the backfield for a good 20 seconds. After about 5 seconds I hear B's coach screaming something (they were already up by 3 TDs in the 4th), he was screaming that the QB didn't have his mouthpiece in, and he addemently wanted a penalty. So I looked toward the now runner and saw that sure enough his Mouthpiece was dangling. We didn't throw a flag because I thought that since we didn't know that he started the play w/o a MP that we had to assume that it was knocked out during the normal course of play. I tried to explain to the coach from accross the field (I was U) but he kept on whining, so I finally just yelled to him "stop talking" and put my index finger to my mouth.

Is this explanation right or should I have thrown some type of flag? Ideas!?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Don't flag it as it may have come out during the play. If a player loses his helmet during a play, are you going to flag him for not properly wearing equipment during a down?? Not likely. Same goes for the mouth piece.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

No foul is the correct call. You were right in deciding that since you did not see how it came out, you must assume that it came out in the course of play.

However, please do not yell at a coach from across the field to "stop talking". Is that how you would like to be treated if you were coaching? Send the info over with the wingman. If you are working 3 man without a wingman on that side, then get the info to him yourself or by the R. If a coach is a continual whiner, you might at some point have to hold up your hand and say "That's enough coach", but try to avoid doing that from across the field. Nobody likes to be shown up in front of their players and fans.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

We had a game last year where on a couple of plays the QB on one team actually spit out his mouthpiece right after the snap. I watched him do it. The first one was a little surprising and we flagged him for the second one. He and his coach thought it was legal as long as he started the play with it in his mouth.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I have always thought a MP was a pretty important piece of equipment. I could see where he would rather start the play without and the insert after snap (of course this probably wouldn't work into the flow of his play) that way he could call for plays and snap count. Why would someone want to spit it out?

I have another question, my Son's first game (away) is this week and so all the players wear their jerseys to school. He had on his white and I questioned him on it. He called a buddy and confirmed that was what the coach said they would wear. As a basketball official, I know whites are for home games. Isn't this the same for football?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 07:56am
Ref Ump Welsch

Actually, in football, white is for away teams. Home team is to wear their "dark" uniforms.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

thanks, that answers my my my question
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Aren't we supposed to stop play if the ball-carrier loses his helmet?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Aren't we supposed to stop play if the ball-carrier loses his helmet?
NFHS - yes.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deep
No foul is the correct call. You were right in deciding that since you did not see how it came out, you must assume that it came out in the course of play.

However, please do not yell at a coach from across the field to "stop talking". Is that how you would like to be treated if you were coaching? Send the info over with the wingman. If you are working 3 man without a wingman on that side, then get the info to him yourself or by the R. If a coach is a continual whiner, you might at some point have to hold up your hand and say "That's enough coach", but try to avoid doing that from across the field. Nobody likes to be shown up in front of their players and fans.
I agree on both counts. To add on to the second part, I would not put my finger to my mouth. In my opinion this is rather "demeaning." If he wants to whine, let him whine. If he goes too far give him a USC, otherwise, let him talk and go over and explain the call to him during the next natural break in the game.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Thanks for all the input.

Just as a side note, the coach and I have a pretty "Jovial," fun poking kind of relationship; anyway I said it with a smile and then told him wait till the next TO and I would explain it to him. If this was a Friday or Saturday game where things were much more professional I would have obviuosly gone with the direct/immediate explination, instead of the playful goading.

Good Luck this weekend everyone, hope there was a good one tonight!
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
What is the signal, and enforcement for a mouthpiece violation.

-Sorry, didn't bring my rule book to work and its bugging me-
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patsfan2431

### Probably S23.

here's a signal chart (at least half of it) for reference
http://www.nfhs.org/staticcontent/pd...nal_chart2.pdf
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patsfan2431

5 yard penalty. One arm behind the head, like the loss of down signal but only one arm. If its before the snap blow it dead, but it can be live ball too.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
Thanks for all the input.

Just as a side note, the coach and I have a pretty "Jovial," fun poking kind of relationship; anyway I said it with a smile and then told him wait till the next TO and I would explain it to him. If this was a Friday or Saturday game where things were much more professional I would have obviuosly gone with the direct/immediate explination, instead of the playful goading.

Good Luck this weekend everyone, hope there was a good one tonight!
I may be nit picking here but a pet peeve of mine is to be professional no matter what level you are working. It just sets a good example to the kids.