The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
(FED) The 32, with loss of down.
Douh because if he had taken the sack that is where the ball would have been down. So it makes sense to start the penalty from that spot. Thanks!
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Fed....this group (AAYFL here in WI) used WIAA w/ adaptations at the time. I believe they still do. I have no clue what the ruleset is by you, so you need to look into that and verse yourself with it.

And that's the thing...he CAN be contacted, he just can't be blown up with his head down....B needs to let him protect himself and get his head up or avoid major contact while unprotected (head down). Many of these guys would teach their C's to snap the ball on scrimmage kick formations and keep their head down and then if a guy shot the gap and bumped their kid in the hip or leg, they wanted 15....that's not what the rule is or is there for.

Roughing the center/snapper (FED/NFHS 9-4-6) 15 yards from previous and first down.

Horse collar tackle is also a FED/NFHS rule (9-4-3k) and variations exist in NFL/NCAA/CFL) 15 yards

Good luck.
Thanks Can
Old Thu Aug 25, 2016, 08:20am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Douh because if he had taken the sack that is where the ball would have been down. So it makes sense to start the penalty from that spot. Thanks!
That's a reasonable rationale, but it's not the reason why the 27 is the enforcement spot.

This is a loose ball play (LBP). The Basic (enforcement) Spot for a LBP is the previous spot. All fouls are enforced from the Basic Spot, except for a foul by the offense BEHIND the Basic Spot, which is enforced from the spot of the foul. That's what we have here.

FYI - This method of determining the enforcement spot is commonly called "All But One (or "3-&-1" if you talk to an old-timer like me). It's usually abbreviated as "ABO".
Old Thu Aug 25, 2016, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks CT, its going to take time to get some of this basic information down.

My question is in all sports there are fouls which they dont want you to call. Like flying out of bounds in basketball (on purpose) and passing to an open player. Or face guarding and a technical is to be called. Is there any plays like that in football? Like using an arm on someones shoulder to try to block a kick or I see so much helmet contact how do you know when to call something and not.

Just curious if there were some fouls you never see from the rule book being called?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2016, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Had this last saturday. Some clear O line and D line in the neutral zone, youth on my partners far side and he doesnt blow it. It is normal to let the closer official decide if he want those calls on his side of the snapper?
Old Fri Aug 26, 2016, 08:05am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Had this last saturday. Some clear O line and D line in the neutral zone, youth on my partners far side and he doesnt blow it. It is normal to let the closer official decide if he want those calls on his side of the snapper?
Yep. Don't go fishing in the other guy's pond.

Many times in youth ball, especially early in the season, the covering official will decide on a "talking to" for the first occurrence, rather than a flag.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2016, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Yep. Don't go fishing in the other guy's pond.

Many times in youth ball, especially early in the season, the covering official will decide on a "talking to" for the first occurrence, rather than a flag.
It's not a bad idea, and can avoid any embarrassing disagreements if both wing officials "are on the same page' regarding LOS infractions. If such difference arise during the game, addressing them subtly and privately as soon as practical is a smart idea.