Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdweller View Post
Arizona is experimenting with this.
Chains start out on Home side then switch to visitor side to finish game including any overtimes. Ball boys switch also. Also changes where the Umpire lines up on kickoffs.
Another example of some squeaky wheel getting some extra oil it doesn't need. Pandering to whining NEVER works, all it EVER does is encourage more whining.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2016, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdweller View Post
Arizona is experimenting with this.
Chains start out on Home side then switch to visitor side to finish game including any overtimes. Ball boys switch also. Also changes where the Umpire lines up on kickoffs.
what is funny about this, is supposedly this came as a result of a survey with the coaches and then at coaches' meeting when they were told it was going to happen and how it was going to work, a number of the coaches complained about it.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2016, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I personally believe it causes confusion as the wing guys forget sometimes momentarily where they are working. Especially in 4-man mechanics for some of the lesser grade levels where the LJ acts similar to the BJ for punts.

This is our second year doing this mechanic and I could do without it.

Except we do not switch the chains. Essentially the LJ has the responsibilities of the HL and the HL has the responsibilities of the LJ.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2016, 02:56pm
Chain of Fools

Here's a thought. Make the teams switch sidelines after halftime. See how many coaches vote for that?

Why would you switch ballboys in high school football? I understand college because you have ballboys for each team on each sideline, I believe. Most of the ballboys we deal with are young kids, some are coaches kids. No way are they going to go to the other team's sideline.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 08:04am
Official & ***** Member

Found out in our meeting yesterday that we are now apparently allowed to switch under the following circumstances:

(1) The switch will be announced when the assignment is given out
(2) Both wings will attend the chain crew pre-game
(3) The "stronger" HL will be the LJ for the first half.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Because it "seems" possible, some people seem bound and determined to milk bulls, and refuse to accept all evidence to the contrary when proves to be just a really dumb idea.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 10:38am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
(3) The "stronger" HL will be the LJ for the first half.
So what is a definition of "strength" of the HL? The one with more patience for lackadaisical chain crews?
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 11:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

We'll all be doing this (switching sidelines) soon enough. Mark my prediction and come back to it in a few years.

Personally, I'd like to see the two deeps on kickoffs at the 5 or 10 yard line. That way everyone moves FORWARD on a kick.

The current NFHS alignment has someone on the 30 and the ball typically crosses right past that person -- it's hard to officiate when you have to look to your left and to your right simultaneously.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 11:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
So what is a definition of "strength" of the HL? The one with more patience for lackadaisical chain crews?
As an R, I prefer the stronger person as the LJ. He's deciding if the LTG has been reached and his spotting the ball and his judgment on getting spots is far more important to the pace of play than the HL. With my current LJ, I wouldn't be surprised if the chains don't come out once all season.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 02:40pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welpe View Post
so what is a definition of "strength" of the hl? The one with more patience for lackadaisical chain crews azzhole coaches?
Yep. (FIFY)
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 02:44pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
So what is a definition of "strength" of the HL?
The one who really wants to do it, i.e. me, as opposed to the one who didn't, i.e. the LJ.

Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Never thought I'd see an actual example of the question most mothers ask their sons, "If so & so jumped off a bridge, does that mean you have to" This is a practice, no matter who has decided to "try it" that is at best a stupid idea to try and justify some solution in search of a problem.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2016, 08:08pm
Small Business Owner

Swapping the H and the L is a freaking joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
...If I remember correctly, this is coming from the NFHS, and not a state decision.
I can attest for a fact this is NOT coming from the NFHS.
This is coming from Kentucky where someone saw it on TV and conjured up the notion that we needs it too.

This is a big waste of time and has less than little or no chance of becoming an NFHS mechanic.

If it is so damned important to some people that each coach see the Head Linesman for half a game, then,
have the teams swap sidelines at half time.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2016, 09:07pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We'll all be doing this (switching sidelines) soon enough. Mark my prediction and come back to it in a few years.

Personally, I'd like to see the two deeps on kickoffs at the 5 or 10 yard line. That way everyone moves FORWARD on a kick.

The current NFHS alignment has someone on the 30 and the ball typically crosses right past that person -- it's hard to officiate when you have to look to your left and to your right simultaneously.
Our state has written a mechanics manual in conjunction with NASO and published by referee magazine, and both wings are on the 15 yd line, with umpire on R 50 and BJ on K 40.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2016, 11:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

KHW,

Since I am a fool, you can kiss all my state final rings (Counting 5 times BTW)

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Sep 05, 2016 at 11:05pm.