The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 08:57am
NFHS Official

New Mechanic

Went to state rules meeting on Saturday. Starting this year during non varsity contest, the HL and LJ will be switching positions at halftime. Starting with the 2017 season, this will be done at Varsity levels.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Do the chains move as well? If they do, it will be difficult for the booth to see them. As a white hat, I look for different skill sets with the linesman and the judge. I expect my judge to maybe run a little better so he can assist with punts.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 08:04pm
Chain of Fools

This is an NC AA mechanic that is starting to get some "me too" action at some state's HS level. Personally I think it is pointless. If I wanted to be a LJ, I would be one. I like working H. It's an answer in search of a question. Supposedly brings a perception of equality to the sidelines. Next we'll be having to get coaches and players a safe place and stop blowing those harsh whistles
Old Tue Jul 26, 2016, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
This is an NC AA mechanic
Actually, it's an NFL mechanic. The difference being the NFL switches the sides the chains are on when they do this...something that's not as easy to do in most NCAA and NFHS venues as the press box will have more difficulty seeing them on the near side.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2016, 07:47am
Chain of Fools

Which is why the NCAA just switches the wings and now the practicing Fed states, which is why I said its an NCAA mechanic.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2016, 08:13am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
Do the chains move as well? If they do, it will be difficult for the booth to see them. As a white hat, I look for different skill sets with the linesman and the judge. I expect my judge to maybe run a little better so he can assist with punts.
The chains stay on the visiting side. If I remember correctly, this is coming from the NFHS, and not a state decision.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2016, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Is there a "rational" explanation as to what this accomplishes? It seems ONLY based on the flimsiest suspicion, that somewhere a wing official might have, or develop, a bias against a sideline.

Maybe if "sidelines" focused on what their responsibilities ACTUALLY are, instead of trying to fabricate excuses, or attempt to create unearned advantage, there wouldn't be any need to throw ALL officials under, what seems like an imaginary bus, to try and excuse self inflicted mistakes, or create imaginary ones by opponents.

Football, at any level, is a better game when there is less whining, and everyone focuses on their own responsibilities and performance, than worrying about what everyone else is doing.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2016, 12:00pm
Chain of Fools

Not a Fed decision or we'd all be doing it. They may be experimenting but it is not national.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2016, 12:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Your state can do or not do any mechanic suggested. I would not be surprised if many states do not do this for all kinds of reasons. Nothing really to worry about at this point.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 29, 2016, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
Arizona is experimenting with this.
Chains start out on Home side then switch to visitor side to finish game including any overtimes. Ball boys switch also. Also changes where the Umpire lines up on kickoffs.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2016, 06:21pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdweller View Post
Also changes where the Umpire lines up on kickoffs.
Our new mechanic for kickoffs is BJ on 40, on visitors sideline, U on 50, press box sideline. LJ on 15 press box sideline, HL on 15 visitors sideline, R middle of field on goal line
Old Fri Aug 05, 2016, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The chains stay on the visiting side. If I remember correctly, this is coming from the NFHS, and not a state decision.
I don't think so. Haven't seen anything from the NFHS on this. This is a state option.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 06, 2016, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Our new mechanic for kickoffs is BJ on 40, on visitors sideline, U on 50, press box sideline. LJ on 15 press box sideline, HL on 15 visitors sideline, R middle of field on goal line
We had this for a year and then got rid of it like 2 years ago. Umpires hated it for the most part.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 06, 2016, 09:46pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I don't think so. Haven't seen anything from the NFHS on this. This is a state option.
There are a few states experimenting with it this year. I think it's an experimental mechanic change coming from the NFHS.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2016, 06:19am
Chain of Fools

Frankenstein was an experiment too. Jus' sayin'.