The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

BJ Run Mechanic

Hello All!

First off, I have just completed my first season as a football official. I want to thank everyone on this board for the helpful discussions. They truly helped me this season. I got to work one varsity game as a BJ, and the crew chief is inviting me to become his BJ next year. I had a quick question on the BJ run mechanic. On an off tackle run, I am supposed to observe the POA. If I see a hold from my position at the POA (which is near the LOS), do I defer to the umpire to make the call (If he sees it) or do I launch the flag from my position? Thanks again for all of the help here this season!

Scott
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
From back there it has to be big! I called one last Saturday on a sweep from the B position and it was basically a hug.

This is an area where crew communication is key. Talk with your U or your LOS guys. The hold might be one of the LOS keys. Ask them how they would like you to handle it. Like I said, if you're going to launch it from back there, it should be seen by everyone in the stadium!

Good luck!
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Echoing that sentiment, it needs to be huge! And probably needs to be by the player you were keying at the snap. If it is that close to the LOS then you should still be on your key so it needs to be him that is fouling (or being fouled). It is a bit different once the play has developed and you have transitioned into zone coverage.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Although on the play you described you are watching the POA, you would be watching in front of the ball carrier more than the umpire. You may see a hold that is parallel with the umpire on a LB who is getting blocked by a linemen who is releasing to the next level for his block. This block would be 5-8 yards downfield. I doubt you would see a hold on a DLinemen by an OLinemen from 20 yards deep.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

The one thing you don't want to do is sail a flag over the umpire that lands in front of him. Presumably he sees the play so let him make the call. If it's beside or behind him then you can call it but if it's in front of him, it's his call.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I think that it all of my games as BJ, I've thrown maybe 2 holds at the point of attack, and they were both just as described above - ahead of the play and even with U, while U is focused behind the hold.

But I've probably thrown 6 or 7 facemasks (in 50-60 games) that U did not see from there. Make sure you're watching for this just as much as you're watching for the holds.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

As BJ, I'm rarely looking right around the ball on off tackle/sweep plays. The U and either the HL or LJ should be picking up the blocks right around the ball. I'm looking at the next blocks ahead, typically the wideouts attempting to block the DBs. These are the blocks that will spring the runner for a big gain and are being attempted by guys who usually don't block much. So you have big potential for nefarious goings on.
One thing I am expected to see potentially near the ball though is a DB coming up and cutting a lead blocker. That's a big point of emphasis in our assoc this year.
But, like others have said, if I do see a big time WWF type hold, and I've somehow managed to see it from start to finish, I think you have to call it if the U or HL/LJ's flag is not there first.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Like others have said, the only time you should be watching the POA that soon after the snap would be if it was near the player you're keying at the snap. As a BJ, the only holds that I've called at the POA were those committed by the player I was keying (usually a TE or a slot).
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have to disagree that you have the point of attack. The BJ has blocks in front of the play or LOS. Usually the block you are going to see is a lead blocker downfield. Let the umpire, wings and Referee get blocks specifically at the point of attack. I have worked BJ all year and when I would call a hold (I can only think of two) it would be on the wide receiver. For the most part it would be best to leave anything near the LOS to the 4 other officials that are in a better position.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses and corrections to my run mechanics. I hope to bank this information and become a better official next year. I do appreciate it!

Scott