The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   New Mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/football/101511-new-mechanic.html)

OKREF Tue Jul 26, 2016 08:57am

New Mechanic

Went to state rules meeting on Saturday. Starting this year during non varsity contest, the HL and LJ will be switching positions at halftime. Starting with the 2017 season, this will be done at Varsity levels.

SE Minnestoa Re Tue Jul 26, 2016 01:34pm

Do the chains move as well? If they do, it will be difficult for the booth to see them. As a white hat, I look for different skill sets with the linesman and the judge. I expect my judge to maybe run a little better so he can assist with punts.

HLin NC Tue Jul 26, 2016 08:04pm

This is an NC AA mechanic that is starting to get some "me too" action at some state's HS level. Personally I think it is pointless. If I wanted to be a LJ, I would be one. I like working H. It's an answer in search of a question. Supposedly brings a perception of equality to the sidelines. Next we'll be having to get coaches and players a safe place and stop blowing those harsh whistles:rolleyes:

Altor Tue Jul 26, 2016 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 989377)
This is an NC AA mechanic

Actually, it's an NFL mechanic. The difference being the NFL switches the sides the chains are on when they do this...something that's not as easy to do in most NCAA and NFHS venues as the press box will have more difficulty seeing them on the near side.

HLin NC Wed Jul 27, 2016 07:47am

Which is why the NCAA just switches the wings and now the practicing Fed states, which is why I said its an NCAA mechanic.

OKREF Wed Jul 27, 2016 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 989365)
Do the chains move as well? If they do, it will be difficult for the booth to see them. As a white hat, I look for different skill sets with the linesman and the judge. I expect my judge to maybe run a little better so he can assist with punts.

The chains stay on the visiting side. If I remember correctly, this is coming from the NFHS, and not a state decision.

ajmc Wed Jul 27, 2016 08:23am

Is there a "rational" explanation as to what this accomplishes? It seems ONLY based on the flimsiest suspicion, that somewhere a wing official might have, or develop, a bias against a sideline.

Maybe if "sidelines" focused on what their responsibilities ACTUALLY are, instead of trying to fabricate excuses, or attempt to create unearned advantage, there wouldn't be any need to throw ALL officials under, what seems like an imaginary bus, to try and excuse self inflicted mistakes, or create imaginary ones by opponents.

Football, at any level, is a better game when there is less whining, and everyone focuses on their own responsibilities and performance, than worrying about what everyone else is doing.

HLin NC Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:00pm

Not a Fed decision or we'd all be doing it. They may be experimenting but it is not national.

JRutledge Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51pm

Your state can do or not do any mechanic suggested. I would not be surprised if many states do not do this for all kinds of reasons. Nothing really to worry about at this point.

Peace

Cliffdweller Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 989365)

Arizona is experimenting with this.
Chains start out on Home side then switch to visitor side to finish game including any overtimes. Ball boys switch also. Also changes where the Umpire lines up on kickoffs.

OKREF Tue Aug 02, 2016 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffdweller (Post 989466)
Also changes where the Umpire lines up on kickoffs.

Our new mechanic for kickoffs is BJ on 40, on visitors sideline, U on 50, press box sideline. LJ on 15 press box sideline, HL on 15 visitors sideline, R middle of field on goal line

BktBallRef Fri Aug 05, 2016 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 989390)
The chains stay on the visiting side. If I remember correctly, this is coming from the NFHS, and not a state decision.

I don't think so. Haven't seen anything from the NFHS on this. This is a state option.

JRutledge Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 989608)
Our new mechanic for kickoffs is BJ on 40, on visitors sideline, U on 50, press box sideline. LJ on 15 press box sideline, HL on 15 visitors sideline, R middle of field on goal line

We had this for a year and then got rid of it like 2 years ago. Umpires hated it for the most part.

Peace

Welpe Sat Aug 06, 2016 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 989662)
I don't think so. Haven't seen anything from the NFHS on this. This is a state option.

There are a few states experimenting with it this year. I think it's an experimental mechanic change coming from the NFHS.

HLin NC Sun Aug 07, 2016 06:19am

Frankenstein was an experiment too. Jus' sayin'.:(