The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

"It gets called all the time? OK, prove it."

How about "aren't calling it. ever." Can't help but notice that's not exactly provable either.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Kicks View Post

How about "aren't calling it. ever." Can't help but notice that's not exactly provable either.
If you can't find one instance anywhere on the Internet, that's good enough for me.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you can't find one instance anywhere on the Internet, that's good enough for me.
Likewise
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about from your own forum? From Football/9-yard marks thread, comment #13:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfath View Post
North Carolina has informed us to enforce the 9-yard marks rule for scrimamge and free kicks as well for consistency.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 12:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
How about from your own forum? From Football/9-yard marks thread, comment #13:
High school. Different animal. And you'll find it enforced differently in various areas of the country. We only flag it if the defense fails to match up.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 12:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Just to clear something up, the 9 yard nine marks infraction is not an offside foul, it is a foul for illegal formation.

The announced foul was offside. I guarantee you that if it was an illegal formation foul, they would have announced it as such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6oC...ature=youtu.be

Here is the video of the play. Notice that the tick marks at the bottom? Those are the 9 yard marks. You have maybe one or two players not inside them.

Perhaps a technical infraction but not one you'll see called on a kickoff in college. The approved mechanic is if you're going to do anything about it, is to tell the players to get inside the nine yard mark to make them legal.

You need to trust the people that have actually officiated games using NCAA rules (I have as well) when we say that isn't the call.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 12:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
High school. Different animal. And you'll find it enforced differently in various areas of the country. We only flag it if the defense fails to match up.
That's also something specific to North Carolina because in high school, there's not even a 9 yard mark requirement on free kicks.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 12:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That's also something specific to North Carolina because in high school, there's not even a 9 yard mark requirement on free kicks.
Yup.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The ACC announcement was most likely drawn up without even talking to the official who made the call.
For someone who's never, EVER, been anywhere near a situation like this, I find it odd you think you have the perspective to tell us what "most likely" happened.

As someone more familiar to this situation ... I promise you the ACC did not announce ANYTHING before talking to the officials - likely for quite a long time.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

OK... you're on a forum where the vast majority of the people posting have either BEEN in this situation, or have talked often to people who have been in this situation, and have likely discussed this sort of situation in numerous clinics and training sessions.

You have NO perspective to offer here other than that of some guy on a couch who thinks he knows better.

Yet you insist you are right without any shred of evidence (no ... another forum filled with other guys on couches does not count as evidence). Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?

You're being told, by people who WOULD KNOW, that this doesn't get called in the scenario being discussed.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 02:59pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Yep....it's a fairly simple thing. He missed it. Yea, it's unfortunate but it happened.
My confusion is that this wasn't an error of omission (not seeing something that is there), but error of commission (seeing something that isn't there). When a hold happens, it's easy to say an official "missed" it because he didn't see it. But when a hold doesn't happen, and there's a flag on the ground..? These, I think, are the most frustrating and confusing.

So, the official saw something. I don't know what it is, but he saw something. Like in a hold, the official saw a ball of jersey in a player's hand. Or the sometimes case where you see a player go flying onto his face, and the official turns and assumes that he was pushed in the back. And it wasn't a "miss," at least how I see it. (I know, I know, "miss" is a generic term for not seeing something there and for seeing something not there, but I'm not a fan of the terminology.)

And frankly from the replay, I don't know what he could have seen. Perhaps he thought the kicker's foot was some other player's foot?

Also, the kick was boxed in (like we always do for onside kicks). So there was an official on both sides of the ball. Since the far side official didn't throw a flag, I suspect it had to be a player on the near side. And the closest one is the second from the bottom. Perhaps he saw a hand or finger break the plane at the kick?

Anyway, without a camera looking down the 35 yard line, and no statement forthcoming from the official with the flag, we'll never know what he saw or what he thought he saw.