The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 06, 2002, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

First. I thought the US performance was lackluster but I am curious as to what anybody else thought of a couple of calls.

Maybe I dont understand FIBA which would not be a first but

Call #1- Later in the game there was a US player shooting a three point shot and they called the foul that put the US player (dont recall think it was Davis) on the line for a four point play... Did any one else think that call was ticky tacky? I

Call #2- Last minute of the game Vlade sets a screen up high and A. Miller? gets tripped up on it and goes down to floor. They called the foul on Miller and then sent someone else to the line. Personally I thought it should have been a no call since the pick did what it was intended to do and Miller did not crash into him, he just saw the pick tried to go around it and tripped on Vlade's leg... The interesting thing about this was the pick was top of key high to the right side of the floor and it was lead who made the initial call (least that's what appered on TV)

I think if I had made at least the second call around here I'd be lucky if I were still working Girl's A freshman ball.

Old Fri Sep 06, 2002, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
First.
Call #2- Last minute of the game Vlade sets a screen up high and A. Miller? gets tripped up on it and goes down to floor. They called the foul on Miller and then sent someone else to the line. Personally I thought it should have been a no call since the pick did what it was intended to do and Miller did not crash into him, he just saw the pick tried to go around it and tripped on Vlade's leg... The interesting thing about this was the pick was top of key high to the right side of the floor and it was lead who made the initial call (least that's what appered on TV)

Kelvin,
I think they sent the shooter to the line.
And, it appeared the officials were thinking about a continuation foul from the top of the key on that lay-up, but then rethunk it.
That tournament, ... those rules, ... I don't think about it cuz I don't understand it.

Maybe:
The Lead kicked it
The Trail covered him as best he could.
Dunno.

mick
Old Fri Sep 06, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I agree there were some interesting calls last nigth.

I saw what you did on the Vlade screen. THe lead official was the one who made the call and as I recall wanted to count the basket. What is that all about?

What I thought was inexcusable, and any of our FIFA friends can help me out, was Vlade's conduct in the 4th quarter. I can't remeber what set him off, but there was a call and Vlade kicked the courtside signage, got in the face of the official, was backed away and got in his face again, I think he even put his hands on him. He even gave him the "Two Handed Wave Off", yet he did not get a "T". The following play Paul Pierce gets called for a charge. Why no T? Why the charge? I would have whacked him for kicking the table and thrown him for getting in my face. Maybe that is why I am not doing FIFA.
Old Fri Sep 06, 2002, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
The following play Paul Pierce gets called for a charge. Why no T? Why the charge? I would have whacked him for kicking the table and thrown him for getting in my face. Maybe that is why I am not doing FIFA.
...and geography, maybe? also, whether you were calling a T or not would have no bearing on whether or not you were doing International Football...
Old Sat Sep 07, 2002, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
The following play Paul Pierce gets called for a charge. Why no T? Why the charge? I would have whacked him for kicking the table and thrown him for getting in my face. Maybe that is why I am not doing FIFA.
...and geography, maybe? also, whether you were calling a T or not would have no bearing on whether or not you were doing International Football...
Got me. FI B A. I am much better at FIFA on PlayStation. It is a great game.
But do you disagree that his actions warranted a "T"?
Old Sat Sep 07, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Play 1- I definitely felt that Baron got hit on the arm before the release of the three pointer he made. They showed a replay and he did get hit.
Play 2- I agree with you that the call was bad. It should of been a no call.

Somebody else commented about when Vlade went crazy towards the official late in the game. Vlade got pushed out of bounds and there was no call and the U.S. got the ball so Vlade went crazy. He could of been teched but I think the official knew he missed the call plus its late in a close game.
Old Sat Sep 07, 2002, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

So that means that if you decide to 'no-call' in that situation, that you'll have to do that again the next time... BTW, Vlade obviously crossed a line, and that should lead to concequences...

ADR