The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

offside or not ?

I am a basketball official and know very little about soccer rules.

Saw this happen in a youth soccer game and wondered what the correct call is:

free kick from just outside the big-box. the ball is kicked at the goalie who hits the ball, but does not catch it. The ball rolls in front of the goalie and is kicked in for a goal by an offense player that was standing in front of the goal with no defensive players between her and the goalie.

quite a debate between the official and side judge if this was offsides or not.

They decided it was a good goal because once the ball hit the goalie hit cancelled any possible offsides call. But still plenty of debate from the coaches.

I appreciate any input on this one.

Thanks
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
Incorrect (assuming the player was in the offside position at the time of the original shot), but I'll let Nevadaref explain why.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

offside or not?

Well maybe..... the key question that must be answered is where was the attacking player when the ball was kicked toward the goal? If the attacker was in an offside position when the ball was kicked, the goal must be called back. If the attacker was level with the defense, the goal stands. Hopefully the discussion between the ref and the AR covered this!
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The point about "where was the attacking player when the ball was kicked toward the goal" on the free kick is correct.

The "side judge", aka linesman/AR in soccer, should very definitely have known the answer as that, and goal or not, are his/her primary responsibilities in that situation.

If they decided "good goal because once the ball hit the goalie hit cancelled any possible offside"; and the player was in an offside position when the ball was played; then they were wrong.

For your edification, an offside position is when the attacking player is nearer the goal line than the ball and nearer the goal line than at least two defenders. It is not an infraction unless the "offside position" player is actively involved in the play (e.g., receives the ball) or interferes with an opponent.

Last edited by CecilOne; Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 04:43pm.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

It is not possible to tell you on an internet discussion forum whether the call was correct or not. This is because I cannot tell you without seeing it for myself whether or not the goalkeeper controlled the ball by parrying it or merely deflected it in his attempt to block the shot.
If this was a controlled parry then the goal is good even if the attacker was in an offside position when the shot was taken. The control by the GK resets the offside and permits the attacker to play the ball.
If the GK merely blocked the shot without control, then it depends upon where the attacker who put in the rebound was when the shot was taken. Offside position = no goal; onside position = good goal.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Everyone has been right. He might have been offside and he might not have, It all depends upon where the player was at the time of the shot.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowafanseattle
I am a basketball official and know very little about soccer rules.

Saw this happen in a youth soccer game and wondered what the correct call is:

free kick from just outside the big-box. the ball is kicked at the goalie who hits the ball, but does not catch it. The ball rolls in front of the goalie and is kicked in for a goal by an offense player that was standing in front of the goal with no defensive players between her and the goalie.

quite a debate between the official and side judge if this was offsides or not.

They decided it was a good goal because once the ball hit the goalie hit cancelled any possible offsides call. But still plenty of debate from the coaches.

I appreciate any input on this one.

Thanks
As you can see, the answer depends on factors not specified, and w/o knowing soccer rules you would not have noted what we would to determine the outcome. And I forgot about the controlled parry possibility, for which you will find very little agreement among officials about what that means.
If you are now starting to watch soccer, you will find the rules simpler and less extensive than basketball; but many calls are just as subjective.
BTW, the "big-box" is the "penalty area", where direct free kicks become penalty kicks and it also is a boundary for kicks "going out".