The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Ive been referee in some junior games at my local school and the parents keep screaming at me when I call offside.

Offside is when one guy is almost like another guy exept running teh wrong Way?
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down damn

Damn, are ya women or something?
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Offsides and encroachment.

Do you know by what rules you are playing by? I know that flag football uses a unique set of rules and I don't have the resources for that. Perhaps one of the regulars will refer us to the web-site for flag football rules.

In National Federation rules (used by high schools in 48 states and most youth leagues) encroachment is a dead-ball foul (prior to the snap), penalized 5 yards from the succeeding spot (where the ball will next be snapped) and occurs when: after the referee blows his whistle for the ready to play, and the snapper has placed his hands on the ball, a player from A (offense) or B (defense) is in the neutral zone. This is the most common form of encroachment (the other fouls are a little advanced for this post but we can talk about those later).

In NCAA rules (used by colleges), encroachment is the same as above but it can only be a foul by the offensive team.

In NCAA rules, offsides is a dead-ball foul when (after the referee blows the ready for play whistle and after the center touches the ball) a defensive player enters the neutral zone and makes contact with an offensive player, touches the ball (both 5 yard fouls) or hurdling the offensive player (15 yard yard foul).

In NCAA rules, offsides is a live-ball foul (let the play run) if a member of the defense is in the neutral zone at the time of the snap (but did not touch the ball or an offensive player before the snap).

I think this is enought to get the ball rolling (or snapped) for discussion purposes...

Old Sun May 09, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: damn

Quote:
Originally posted by gotha101
Damn, are ya women or something?
I would be careful about how you address other posters on this site...
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

For some reason I have a feeling he is talking about soccer.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
For some reason I have a feeling he is talking about soccer.
I think so too Snake, probably "fotball" or some such thing But I don't mind because Mike gave us a couple of good reminders from his answers. No such thing in Fed rules. And remember itÂ’s live ball for NCAA.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Wink Just in Case....

Offsides in soccer is determined when the ball is kicked rather than when the player receives the ball.

If the ball is kicked, and the player who receives the kick or involved in the play is closer to the goal line than the defenders, the player is offsides. Furthermore, this only occurs when the player is on their attacking half of the field.

Keep in mind Offsides does not apply on corner kicks, throw ins, and goal kicks.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Is it before the ball is kicked or can he get behind the defender once the ball has been kicked and not be offsides?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Is it before the ball is kicked or can he get behind the defender once the ball has been kicked and not be offsides?
Oh man, what do I look like?

I have no idea actually. I was just trying to help the guy out. But I wonder if it is when the ball is kicked....

I don't work soccer. Besides, I don't know that I could stand the high socks look...
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the ball has to be kicked for it to occur.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Knock off the soccer rap guys before I puke This board is for American FOOTY only!
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious.

It seems to be the block/charge, DPI call of soccer. Nothing but headaches.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

"Is it before the ball is kicked or can he get behind the defender once the ball has been kicked and not be offsides?"

When the ball is kicked, he can go.

Sorry I answered...
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Knock off the soccer rap guys before I puke This board is for American FOOTY only!
Well, Mr. Neil. If I didn't know better, I would accuse you of being prejudice to other superior forms of Footy such as
Ki-o-Rahi (Maori football) which does not promote the greedy American culture and does not exploit people like the NFL does with the clueless American fans.

-- -- --- ---- --- ---
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Well, Mr. Neil. If I didn't know better, I would accuse you of being prejudice to other superior forms of Footy such as
Ki-o-Rahi (Maori football) which does not promote the greedy American culture and does not exploit people like the NFL does with the clueless American fans.

-- -- --- ---- --- ---
All I got to say to that is

Ki-o-Rahi
a-ra-ta-tooy
ziss-boom-ba
lets talk some footy