The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 11:54am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Because it's a still frame.

If you actually watch the video, you will see that there's a 4th player who is directly behind the player visible at the top of the screen. It's just freaky how he managed to be directly behind the player at that exact instant.

If there were only three on that side of the kick, that means there's only 10 players in the kick formation, and I don't think there's an R in existence in NCAA football who would blow the RFP on a free kick if one team only had 10 players on the field.
The video is clear. They had 4 on each side. My mistake. If the penalty was actually an illegal formation, then he thought he saw it that way, but why would he throw the flag for that when it was on the opposite side of the field. Seems like he just flat out missed the offside.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 12:32pm
Chain of Fools

I went to bed Saturday night because it appeared that all the teams in the lead appeared to have it in the bag, save Iowa.

I've perused the Raleigh News And Observer for two days and very little mention of it after a small initial article. They went bonkers after the Duke loss to Miami and Carolina is THE school so apparently the hubbub isn't that big a deal.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The video is clear. They had 4 on each side. My mistake. If the penalty was actually an illegal formation, then he thought he saw it that way, but why would he throw the flag for that when it was on the opposite side of the field. Seems like he just flat out missed the offside.
I was wondering the same thing as I did not see the game. But since it appears that this was an offsides call, it was clearly not right.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think they had four on each side when the kick took place.

Yes this is a still frame, but pretty evident they were in an illegal formation.
I see 4 (look at the shadows - there's a player directly behind the top player).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is breaking the plane, right? I have not seen a camera angle that absolutely could not be suffering from parallax issues... nothing straight down the line. If anything did break the plane, it was most likely #30's fingers, but none of the on-line replay videos that I can find (besides not being at the correct angle) allow for a frame-by-frame look.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

There were at least four on each side. Count the players at the top of the screen after the kick. Clearly four players moving behind the kicker.

ACC refs ruin UNC’s chance to upset Clemson

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 09:29pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
It's been that way about 110 yrs. Previously it'd been foot position.
I mean with regard to onside situations, which seems to be the distinction the ACC official is making. Seems a ticky-tacky cop out to me.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I went to bed Saturday night because it appeared that all the teams in the lead appeared to have it in the bag, save Iowa.

I've perused the Raleigh News And Observer for two days and very little mention of it after a small initial article. They went bonkers after the Duke loss to Miami and Carolina is THE school so apparently the hubbub isn't that big a deal.
Not surprising. You don't find much about Carolina in the N&O anymore unless the words "NCAA investigation" are also included.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 01:18am
NFHS Official

Quote:

^. I already corrected myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I see 4 (look at the shadows - there's a player directly behind the top player).
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 09:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
I mean with regard to onside situations, which seems to be the distinction the ACC official is making. Seems a ticky-tacky cop out to me.
We always treat onside situations as an absolute plane. On deep kickoffs, they're fine unless a foot lands offside before the ball is kicked.

That said, I can't see how anyone could possibly be offside based on the screen shots I've seen, even accounting for parallax issues.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules, RULE 6, Section 1, Article 2.c.5:

All players of Team A must have been between the nine-yard marks
after the ready-for-play signal [S19].

Take another look at the video, only don't make the mistake others have made in considering it a violation of the 4-men-per-side rule, which draws everyone's attention away from the actual infraction by focusing attention on the upper part of the screen. Instead, focus on the lower part of the screen, and you will see that the closest player to the near side of the field in the video is lined up outside the hash marks, in violation of this rule.

Now I'm no expert on what the call technically should be for this violation, i.e., whether that is still called an offsides infraction, or perhaps illegal formation or something else. But the official got it right, he was looking right at him when he threw the flag. At worst, he would be guilty of calling it by the wrong name, not making a bad call.

But I'm guessing that the call would still be offside rather than illegal formation, because the infraction is basically the same thing that happens with the normal offside call, it simply involves being offside in regard to the width of the field rather than the length.

Last edited by Just4Kicks; Wed Dec 09, 2015 at 12:37am.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Kicks View Post
NCAA rules, RULE 6, Section 1, Article 2.c.5:

All players of Team A must have been between the nine-yard marks
after the ready-for-play signal [S19].

Take another look at the video, only don't make the mistake others have made in considering it a violation of the 4-men-per-side rule, which draws everyone's attention away from the actual infraction by focusing attention on the upper part of the screen. Instead, focus on the lower part of the screen, and you will see that the closest player to the near side of the field in the video is lined up outside the hash marks, in violation of this rule.

Now I'm no expert on what the call technically should be for this violation, i.e., whether that is still called an offsides infraction, or perhaps illegal formation or something else. But the official got it right, he was looking right at him when he threw the flag. At worst, he would be guilty of calling it by the wrong name, not making a bad call.
Except that's not what he was calling -- articles have clearly said what was called and why.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Except that's not what he was calling -- articles have clearly said what was called and why.
Holy cow, is it possible an "article" may actually have gotten details WRONG?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I am starting to wonder the same thing as the media often goes off and tangents about things with rules when they clearly do not have all the details or never seem to talk to people that would know.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
No.

"Offsides is not a reviewable play,” the ACC said in a statement. “The officiating team saw a member of the kicking team break the plane (of the 35-yard line) before the ball was kicked.”

Why don't you stop thinking that officials can't make mistakes? It ruins our credibility. Sometimes you just have to look in the mirror and say, "I made a mistake."