The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 05, 2015, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Unsportsmanlike Coin Flip

Just an outsider that was worked basketball and baseball but am slightly confused by this one:

NFHS Rules: Both teams refuse to shake hands at the Coin Flip - would you Flag the home team?

We won't even talk about a WH totally out of control.

Tee
Old Mon Oct 05, 2015, 10:41pm
TODO: creative title here

There's no rule that says that captains are required to shake hands before/during/after the coin toss, so that in and of itself is not foul-worthy for either team.

HOWEVER,

If there was any kind of prior-to-the-coin toss bullsh-t or some kind of history of bad blood between these opponents, there could be grounds for calling it an unsportsmanlike act. Of course, that would be a most extreme circumstance, but I cannot discount the possibility since I wasn't there to witness it.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Do you make the captains shake hands?

Rule 1-1-6
ART. 6 . . . The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good
sportsmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules. The ref -
eree’s decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game.

clearly covers this and I say you throw a USC right then on the head coach. It could be a better fit for the rule and situation. You can flag them for being late why not this

and also 9-5-1g
g. Refusing to comply with a game official’s request.

Last edited by bigjohn; Tue Oct 06, 2015 at 06:18am.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 08:16am
Chain of Fools

Which HC are you going to flag, john?

This has been hashed out elsewhere. Poor sports for sure but WH didn't handle the best of ways seems to be the consensus.

Don't know that I would flag the HC's but I would sure have a "Come to Jesus meeting" with them before the kickoff after that spell.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

If one team refuses, I think their coach should be flagged. If both teams refuse now you have to give both head coaches the Dutch Uncle treatment!!
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 09:02am
Do not give a damn!!

I will never flag someone just because they refuse to shake hands. They would have to do a lot more than that to get a flag.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will never flag someone just because they refuse to shake hands. They would have to do a lot more than that to get a flag.

Peace
+1

However, a coach refusing to shake my hand would pretty much end any communication between us for the entirety of the game.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 09:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
+1

However, a coach refusing to shake my hand would pretty much end any communication between us for the entirety of the game.
And I have no issues with that, but not giving a penalty for it. I would also remind the coach that, "Remember when you refused to shake my hand......?" Then I would walk away from him if he choose to continue to talk. But that has never happened to me ever so not something I worry about.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

watching a cop on YouTube after a person refuses to show ID

Quote:
"Refusing to comply with a game official’s request."
I wish I could post the link. The teams come out and all co-captains just stare at each other. As there is an audio included, at this time, there is no conversation ai all.

The WH says shake hands (Nothing happens), he repeats his demand (nothing happens) . . . it is then that the WH come unglued (my opinion) and flags the home team . . and then he explains to the player closest to him that:

"that's your first USC and when I throw another flag you'll be ejected!"

Just an outsider opinion the WH was out of control after the first 30 seconds of the video.

Tee
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

How could this not fit better??

The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good
sportsmanship,
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
How could this not fit better??

The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good
sportsmanship,
There is no rule about how, when or if they shake hands. This is mostly a ceremonial situation. It would be noted for other situations, but I am not flagging anyone or ever just because they do or do not shake a hand of their opponent. Sorry, this is actually as dumb as asking officials to make sure they shake hands at the end of the game as a state or two have said is a requirement for post game activities of the official. I have no idea why someone wants or does not want to shake someone's hand. Next thing you will say is a "fist bump" is not acceptable either. GTFOH with that mess.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 11, 2015, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

It would take a bit more time, but I would back the teams back to their benches and bring the coaches out. I'd say something like, "I'm not going to physically make them shake hands but if they don't, a report will be filed on this. Also, if this is an indication of how things will happen during the game, I'm warning you right now that at the FIRST sign of trouble, I'm suspending this game and the organizing body can deal with things. I WILL NOT allow this game to get out of control or turn into anything but a good football game. So, I need your help. Would you please briefly discuss this with your captains and teams, send them back out in one minute and we'll try again. If things go well, everything before then will be forgotten. If not, just remember what I said."
Old Sun Oct 11, 2015, 03:20pm
NFHS Official

There is no rule that says you have to shake hands, and to give a penalty for not is plain ludicrous. However, I would not give either team any slack and promptly flag any conduct issues quickly during the game.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2015, 09:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
It would take a bit more time, but I would back the teams back to their benches and bring the coaches out. I'd say something like, "I'm not going to physically make them shake hands but if they don't, a report will be filed on this. Also, if this is an indication of how things will happen during the game, I'm warning you right now that at the FIRST sign of trouble, I'm suspending this game and the organizing body can deal with things. I WILL NOT allow this game to get out of control or turn into anything but a good football game. So, I need your help. Would you please briefly discuss this with your captains and teams, send them back out in one minute and we'll try again. If things go well, everything before then will be forgotten. If not, just remember what I said."
I do not know that I would want to say that as it boxes you into a spot. Then when you do not do something that they feel is out of line, you have lost some credibility for the night. I would just make a mental note and not pass on many things that are showing unsporting behavior. Just like I would if it was a rivalry or some other history with the teams.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
This is almost... but not quite... as over the top as what the official actually did here.

West Houston Mike