The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 05, 2015, 11:30pm
AremRed

Blandino: Refs incorrectly handled key end-zone call at end of Lions-Seahawks

Dean Blandino -- Refs incorrectly handled crucial end-zone call at end of Lions-Seahawks
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

None of the officials had an angle that clearly showed it was an illegal bat.

Fun fact, the back judge in this game was (allegedly) the same guy who was originally slated to do the Fail Mary game before the lockout got in the way.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Really, he had a great look,, said it wasn't OVERT!!

Seahawks' game-saving play against Lions shouldn't have counted - CBSSports.com

Furthermore, Blandino denied that the official didn't know the rule. Instead, he claimed the official looking at the play didn't think it was "overt."

Last edited by bigjohn; Tue Oct 06, 2015 at 06:02am.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 07:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Blandino: Refs incorrectly handled key end-zone call at end of Lions-Seahawks

Let's face it -- only the officials knew the rule. Player could've easily controlled that ball in the end zone....HE didn't know it was illegal to bat it out.

BJ just missed it or judged it wasn't overt enough, which (IMO) was a mistake. Great position, though.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 09:02am
NFHS Official

If you watch they play from the above angle, the official rises up and reaches for what looks to be his flag then decides not to throw it.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Great situation for learning...Assuming an illegal bat here, how would you rule on this in NFHS? Penalty for illegal bat? Touchback? Safety? Whose ball and where...?
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Great situation for learning...Assuming an illegal bat here, how would you rule on this in NFHS? Penalty for illegal bat? Touchback? Safety? Whose ball and where...?
I will admit that I had to think about and read up on this one, so I hope I'm correct.

The force was supplied by Team A's fumble, so it can't be a safety. The result of the play is a touchback. This is a running play as the fumble occurred beyond the neutral zone. Under ABO, enforce from the end of the run, the 1-yard line. It will be A's ball at the 1/2-yard line.

Last edited by SC Official; Tue Oct 06, 2015 at 12:35pm.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

SC Official, I too had to think a bit on this one and I agree with you.
Some commentary: Even though the defender slapped the ball out of the runners possession, by definition a new force cannot be added unless the ball has first been grounded. Therefore A, in this case, is responsible for putting the ball into (and therefore out of) the EZ so result of the play is a Touchback.

Despite B batting it out of the EZ they did not force it into the EZ and so they kind of get a pass on "force" in this situation as force only applies to how the ball gets into the EZ and not how it comes out the other end...
Then we go back to the bean bag where the run ended (where fumble occurred) and enforce the penalty against B and repeat the down (unless yardage is enough for first down).

If anyone has a different ruling please chime in.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 01:59pm
TODO: creative title here

Agree with your rulings in both FED and NCAA... I think I read somewhere that illegal batting includes an automatic first down in the NFL, but I'm not sure where I read it.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely amazing, the judgment whether the players contact with the ball was overt, intentional, deliberate or any other descriptive adjective rests entirely with the covering official (who by the way, was in perfect position to make a sound and reasonable judgment).

If ANYONE should understand that principle, it should be other football officials.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 03:30pm
TODO: creative title here

Huh?

All I (and it looks like everyone else responding) are doing is discussing what the enforcement would have been if the covering official HAD ruled it an illegal bat.

At the time, he obviously didn't think it was worthy of a foul. And if he initially reached for his flag and then decided not to throw on it... who among us hasn't been there before?

Then his supervisor decides that the covering official's call was incorrect... again, who among us hasn't been there before?

Sucks that it happened, but these things happen to all of us from time to time... if it hasn't happened to you yet, you haven't been officiating long enough.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 10:09pm
NFHS Official

All I know is it looks incredibly overt and on purpose.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2015, 10:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
All I know is it looks incredibly overt and on purpose.
If you work football, I doubt that would ever have been called until now.

If this was called we would have had an entirely different discussion. Then the media would have talked about how bad the rule was and how the Seahawks got screwed.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 12:45am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you work football, I doubt that would ever have been called until now.

If this was called we would have had an entirely different discussion. Then the media would have talked about how bad the rule was and how the Seahawks got screwed.

Peace
I do work football. It still looks overt and on purpose, the media would also be saying that the official made the right call according to the rule.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Agree with your rulings in both FED and NCAA... I think I read somewhere that illegal batting includes an automatic first down in the NFL, but I'm not sure where I read it.
This penalty would be enforced the same way under NFL rules...with an automatic first down tacked on.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Closed Thread