The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS rule 1-7: game officials assume authority for the contest.... 30 minutes prior to the scheduled game time...

What are the proper mechanics for administering an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on, for example, the home team, prior to the coin toss? Is it similar to the procedure you would use to explain such a foul that occurred during or after the final play in the 4th quarter of a tie game (prior to going to an overtime period)?
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I've never had an USC before the opening coin toss but I did have one before the second half options were given to the captains at midfield. The visitors were late coming back from halftime so I assessed a 15 yard USC on the coach. I dropped the flag at the center of the field before I brought out the captains - I explained to the captains what was going to happen after they made their choices, and after the choices were made, I made the USC signal and pointed to the 25 yard line and said that K would kick from there.

I then had to go over and explain why it was a 15 yarder and not a 5 yard DOG to the offending team coach. He was a little grumpy.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I wasn't clear on whether you should inform the coaches first, (before the coin toss), or afterwards. I like the way you did it.
Thanks.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

It should be obvious that Referee inform both coaches that a 15 yard penalty will be assessed on the opening or second half K/O or to begin an extra period prior to the coin toss.

That fact may drastically alter what options the offended team might choose regardless of winning or losing the toss.

Every since the NCAA watchdog at 60 minutes prior to a game was implemented, I have never had nor heard of a flag on a team (knock on wood). But the procedure was to drop a flag, take number(s),inform both coaches at that time and inform the Referee when returning to the locker room so he can also over all options with the captains at the center of field just prior to the coin toss. Each coach would have told his captain(s) what to do based on who was on the receiving end of the penalty.
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Why wouldn't we report this foul to the coaches? Unless it happens at the coin toss and there is no time to do so.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
I've never had an USC before the opening coin toss but I did have one before the second half options were given to the captains at midfield. The visitors were late coming back from halftime so I assessed a 15 yard USC on the coach. I dropped the flag at the center of the field before I brought out the captains - I explained to the captains what was going to happen after they made their choices, and after the choices were made, I made the USC signal and pointed to the 25 yard line and said that K would kick from there.

I then had to go over and explain why it was a 15 yarder and not a 5 yard DOG to the offending team coach. He was a little grumpy.
Good procedure. Maybe you did it but I would inform the captains before the options so that the team with the options understands the impact of the decision.

What if the team with the option was set to receive. But their opponents now have a 15-yard penalty. So, instead of kicking off from their 40 they would kcik off at the opponents 45 and the kicker has a good leg. Plus, the opponents offense is lacking and kicking is marginal. They figure they might get the ball inside the opponents forty after one series.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I think it best you let the coaches know so they can inform their players on what to do. If you leave it to the players it could lead to an even more P.O.'d coach and another 15 yerds and an ejection.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, I told the captains before they made their choices. It was pretty straightforward as the late team was kicking and the home team, who was going to receive anyway, got a bonus.

The assistant coach was a lot more upset than the HC. He kept pointing at the clock and saying, "There was time left on the clock when we came back!!!" (they were a good three minutes late). I told him that the 12:00 was for the new quarter, not how long they had left.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile NFHS 30 minute prior to kick-off...

Just curious...

In our association we don't really follow the 30 minute prior to kick-off procedure, although I think we should...

The problem is that we are required to be in our locker-room no later than 1 hour prior to game-time fully dressed and ready to begin the pre-game.

However, the average pregame often goes over 30 minutes. Therefore, we don't have any officials on the field until about 20 minutes prior to coin-toss.

Do you gentlemen feel that one official should be designated the "watch-dog" who in always on the field no later than 30 minutes prior and is then able to watch the warm-ups, etc.?

I say this because once a few years ago I was on the chain crew and we were on the side-lines waiting for the crew to come-out about 20 minutes prior and one team did this Haka war dance up to the 50 yard line and then their captain stepped across, grabbed a hand-full of turf, threw it up into the air and then chanted some Polynesian taunt to the other team...

The other team seemed a bit amused by all this going on and then proceeded to begin their own team chant...

So the entire incident was very mild but I can see where such antics could get out of control...

So what is the vote out here? Send a crew-mate out at least 30 minutes prior? Or just finish the pre-game and then go late?

Actually, I'm in favor of holding the pre-game on the field, either in the middle of the field or off to the side. That way we have established our presence on the field and complied with the 30 minute rule...
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

My view is that the entire crew should be on the field and observing at 30 minutes to game time.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

one team did this Haka war dance up to the 50 yard line and then their captain stepped across, grabbed a hand-full of turf, threw it up into the air

Wow, kind of like a Ray Lewis with a Polynesian slant to it. Woulda like to have seen that.

I don't know about a pre-game on the field, though. We get to the game site at least 1.5 hours before kickoff and for the early season games, I have my crew there 1 3/4 hours early. This way you can get all the talking and crap out of the way, get dressed and do a proper pre-game, then have a little time left over to collect your thoughts and walk out there.

Once we've examined the casts, talked with the coaches, briefed the chain crew, and spoken with the clock operator, then we get into 'hurry up and wait' mode.

Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
then we get into 'hurry up and wait' mode.

That's when I usually fix the pylons.