Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 05:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Absolutely amazing, the judgment whether the players contact with the ball was overt, intentional, deliberate or any other descriptive adjective rests entirely with the covering official (who by the way, was in perfect position to make a sound and reasonable judgment).

If ANYONE should understand that principle, it should be other football officials.

His judgment was wrong. Happens to all of us. No reason to sugarcoat it or suggest anything else.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I think his "judgement" was after the fact. We all know the adage about not grabbing the crappy end of the stick. I honestly think this official saw the play, ruled it an illegal bat, reached for his flag, and then decided that flagging that, in this situation, was the crappy end of the stick - and didn't pull the flag.

Not realizing that in reality, NOT making that call turned out to be the crappy end of the stick.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
His judgment was wrong. Happens to all of us. No reason to sugarcoat it or suggest anything else.
Of course you are entitled to your OPINION, but a qualified, professional game official CLEARLY in the absolute PERFECT position to observe and judge the ENTIRE action, rendered his (informed) judgment, which as We all should know and understand is the one that matters.

On the other hand, Mr. Blandino should be ashamed of himself for throwing one of his charges directly under the nearest bus.

No "sugar coating", reversing what actually happened (a great, heads-up defensive play at a critical instant) because of (at the very best) a gnat's eyelash, nit picking overly technical, inconsequential, DEBATABLE assumption, would have been a tragedy.

As the Detroit Head Coach has suggested, "stuff happens" that game is over, next week's game is coming.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 09:23am
Chain of Fools

So Federationally, we are going to go back to the spot of the fumble (end of the related run- thanks Mr. Beanbag), penalize B half the distance to the goal, and replay the down- correct?
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 09:44am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
So Federationally, we are going to go back to the spot of the fumble (end of the related run- thanks Mr. Beanbag), penalize B half the distance to the goal, and replay the down- correct?
You are correct.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 09:45am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Correct. It's your basic "Team B fouls during a Team A fumble" enforcement. Basic spot is the end of the run, since Team B fouled, we penalize from the basic spot.

The fact that the foul happened in the end zone can trip us up a little bit, but the fact that the foul is in the end zone is irrelevant in this case.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 10:07am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
All I know is it looks incredibly overt and on purpose.
K. J. Wright later admitted that he did it on purpose.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct. It would be a first down in this specific case since the LTG was the 10-yard line.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 10:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do work football. It still looks overt and on purpose, the media would also be saying that the official made the right call according to the rule.
It did not look "overt" to me. Not with all the plays I have seen in football of a loose ball.

Oh, you mean the same media that said that the "tuck rule" was a horrible rule? Of when the media said Dez Bryant made a catch even the fact the rule says they did not make a catch?

Be careful what you think the media will support as we have very recent evidence the media likes to play the "This is what should have happened" game often when it involves things they do not understand.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 10:48am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Of course you are entitled to your OPINION, but a qualified, professional game official CLEARLY in the absolute PERFECT position to observe and judge the ENTIRE action, rendered his (informed) judgment, which as We all should know and understand is the one that matters.
And a qualified, professional who is in charge of the officials said he made a mistake
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

In the NFL's rulebook, the definition of a "bat" is broad and clear: "A Bat or Punch is the intentional striking of the ball with hand, fist, elbow, or forearm."

All it takes is the intentional striking of a ball, which is exactly what happened.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 10:57am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Honestly, I think his "judgement" was after the fact. We all know the adage about not grabbing the crappy end of the stick. I honestly think this official saw the play, ruled it an illegal bat, reached for his flag, and then decided that flagging that, in this situation, was the crappy end of the stick - and didn't pull the flag.

Not realizing that in reality, NOT making that call turned out to be the crappy end of the stick.
I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. I think sometimes we as officials get in trouble trying to apply too much philosophy over clear rules.

Hard to say for sure either way but it is a good learning experience.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 10:59am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
And a qualified, professional who is in charge of the officials said he made a mistake
I'd go light on the "qualified" portion of that.

A native of Bellmore, N.Y., Blandino has spent his entire professional career in football officiating. After graduating in 1993 from Hofstra University, Blandino joined the NFL for the 1994 season as an officiating intern. Following the 1994 season, he was hired full-time as an officiating video assistant and then was promoted to special projects coordinator.
Dean Blandino named NFL vice president of officiating - NFL.com
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 11:43am
AremRed

As a neutral in this game and a non-football official I immediately thought that Wright batted the ball on purpose and thought he made a great play. It never occurred to me that such an action might be illegal -- there were no nearby offensive players attempting to recover the ball, etc. I'm still unsure why this rule would be in effect in any situation other than trying to bat it away from an offensive player about to recover the ball. In this situation I see no advantage gained.

The media and Blandino throwing the BJ under the bus here, what about the deep wing on that side? Surely he had a secondary on the play.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I mean intent means the official has to be able to read the players mind, right?? Unless it is an OVERT bat it isn't intentional, right! Cmon guys defend your own!!!! I mean they all discussed and you know they said, Hey man it is illegal to bat the ball in the end zone. Right? He said yeah but he didn't do it intentionally enough for me to say he intended to bat it, so I say no bat at all! Seahawks ball!

Last edited by bigjohn; Wed Oct 07, 2015 at 12:09pm.
Closed Thread