Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 06:27am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I agree however I think most refs (myself included) are really bad at giving a shooting foul that close to the gather due to the lengthy time and distance before the release. Incorrect by rule, but I see it happen a lot.

I do not know about anybody else but I have never had a problem with calling this a foul in the act of shooting no matter how far out the foul was as long as it meets the requirements of the rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Take an extra second -- much easier to sell a shooting foul if the whistle comes a beat later. And you may decide (by letting the play finish) that it's not actually a foul.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 10:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
If the foul was called on #15 White the goal should have counted. The BH/D had started her shooting motion. She didn't dribble again after the whistle so continuous motion was still in play.
I agree. I can't see anything worth calling on #15, but even so, waving off the shot unfairly punishes the offense. I've got continuous motion here.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree. I can't see anything worth calling on #15, but even so, waving off the shot unfairly punishes the offense. I've got continuous motion here.
I don't see anything worth calling on 15 either. But, even it there was a foul that could considered a shooting foul, the basket can't count.

She traveled....and it wasn't really that close. She picked up the ball as she with her left foot on the floor (well before the right came back down), she stepped on the right, then stepped again to the left, then, after a clear delay, released the ball. The catch at the beginning and the release at the end were well separated from the foot necessary foot movements so it isn't even splitting a hair to determine that she traveled.

It is no different than a player who jumps to shoot, is fouled, then lands before releasing and making the shot. No shot, going to the line for 2.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 01:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Lot more to discuss on this play other than "shooting or not shooting".
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

This is a shooting foul at the time of the whistle. It should have been a no-call and a patient whistle would have created that outcome.

EDIT: There is a traveling but it's very close and requires slo-mo. One that in real time will more than likely go missed.

Last edited by deecee; Tue Jul 28, 2015 at 01:27pm.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 02:16pm
NFHS Official

Just throwing this out there, and the time of the whistle, it doesn't look like she had started a habitual shooting motion. Just picking up a dribble doesn't necessarily constitute a shooting motion.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 02:17pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Just throwing this out there, and the time of the whistle, it doesn't look like she had started a habitual shooting motion. Just picking up a dribble doesn't necessarily constitute a shooting motion.
Depends on the rule set.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA-M is the only rule set where I wouldn't be giving the player shots.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 02:43pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Depends on the rule set.
NFHS. It is a shot if the player has started their "habitual shooting motion".

Rule 4.41.3 The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball.

To me it doesn't look like she starts her shot until after the whistle.

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Jul 28, 2015 at 02:46pm.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 02:49pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

It looked like she carried the ball between :03 and :04

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 03:04pm
AremRed

Quote:
NFHS. It is a shot if the player has started their "habitual shooting motion".

Rule 4.41.3 The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball.

To me it doesn't look like she starts her shot until after the whistle.
Correct. The NFHS and NBA both consider the gather to be the beginning of the "motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball" whereas NCAA-M specifically requires upward motion to be considered shooting.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 03:05pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
It looked like she carried the ball between :03 and :04
Marginal.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct. The NFHS and NBA both consider the gather to be the beginning of the "motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball" whereas NCAA-M specifically requires upward motion to be considered shooting.
They do? Not in any place I've seen (NFHS). First, there the NFHS doesn't even have the concept of "gather". In fact, neither does the NCAA despite how many people use that term.. I can't say about the NBA. To me, a "gather", even in NFHS, is not sufficient to determine it to be a shot. I need just a bit more for it to be a shot...some movement, once the ball is held, that normally leads to a shot. Simply picking up the ball is just not enough.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
This is a shooting foul at the time of the whistle. It should have been a no-call and a patient whistle would have created that outcome.
Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
EDIT: There is a traveling but it's very close and requires slo-mo. One that in real time will more than likely go missed.
If that is close, I'd love to see what it takes for it to not be close for you. To me, this one is pretty obvious, even at full speed and a horrible angle.