The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shooting Foul? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99989-shooting-foul-video.html)

xyrph Mon Jul 27, 2015 09:37pm

Shooting Foul? (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cbiCljb_umQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Mon Jul 27, 2015 09:40pm

Yes.

xyrph Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:07pm

Thank you. Can you elaborate?

Hugh Refner Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:18pm

It sounded like there was a whistle blown when the ball handler was way out at the top of the key prior to her "drive". The ball would become dead at that point. I think that was what the lead was trying to get people to understand. And if that wasn't the case, it looks like #15 fouled the ball handler prior to the shot anyway.

xyrph Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24pm

Thank you. There were six simultaneous games in the gym. That whistle was from one of the adjacent games. Afterward he signals player 15.

OKREF Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31pm

Since the foul was called on 15 I can live with no shots.

APG Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyrph (Post 965265)
Thank you. There were six simultaneous games in the gym. That whistle was from one of the adjacent games. Afterward he signals player 15.

I'm putting her on the line

AremRed Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyrph (Post 965263)
Thank you. Can you elaborate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyrph (Post 965265)

I'm pretty sure the whistle for this foul is the one I hear when Lead puts his arm up. I didn't know there was confusion about which whistle was which, I thought it was clear.

Contact by #15 is marginal, this should be a good bucket and foul on #21. I can see why he would wave off the shot if he got #15 for the foul, but he would be incorrect in doing so.

ODog Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:11pm

Yup, based on his decision to whistle 15 for a foul, the rest of it he handled correctly in terms of administration.

But I agree with AremRed: Score the basket and award one free throw for the foul on 21.

JetMetFan Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16pm

If the foul was called on #15 White the goal should have counted. The BH/D had started her shooting motion. She didn't dribble again after the whistle so continuous motion was still in play.

JRutledge Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:25pm

Yes it should be a shooting foul.

Peace

AremRed Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 965271)
If the foul was called on #15 White the goal should have counted. The BH/D had started her shooting motion. She didn't dribble again after the whistle so continuous motion was still in play.

I agree however I think most refs (myself included) are really bad at giving a shooting foul that close to the gather due to the lengthy time and distance before the release. Incorrect by rule, but I see it happen a lot.

JetMetFan Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 965273)
I agree however I think most refs (myself included) are really bad at giving a shooting foul that close to the gather due to the lengthy time and distance before the release. Incorrect by rule, but I see it happen a lot.

I was waiting for someone else to say that ;)

If the calling official just waits a beat after blowing his whistle he might have gotten it right. It would have given him time to process:

*She stopped dribbling...
*10 feet from the basket...
*With no teammates in sight, therefore...
*What the heck else was she going to do other than shoot?

Also, had he switched after the foul his partner might have been able to give him a nudge in the right direction by gently - and quietly - asking, "Are we counting that?"

If he still was going to (incorrectly) call it a non-shooting foul he really needed to be less nonchalant about waving off the goal. The way he did it tells me he had an "oh crap, that wasn't supposed to happen" moment when the ball went in.

AremRed Tue Jul 28, 2015 01:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 965274)
I was waiting for someone else to say that ;)

If the calling official just waits a beat after blowing his whistle he might have gotten it right. It would have given him time to process:

*She stopped dribbling...
*10 feet from the basket...
*With no teammates in sight, therefore...
*What the heck else was she going to do other than shoot?

Also, had he switched after the foul his partner might have been able to give him a nudge in the right direction by gently - and quietly - asking, "Are we counting that?"

If he still was going to (incorrectly) call it a non-shooting foul he really needed to be less nonchalant about waving off the goal. The way he did it tells me he had an "oh crap, that wasn't supposed to happen" moment when the ball went in.

It really is amazing what whistle timing can do for you. I've noticed my call percentages go up as I wait for the play to finish and then decide whether I need a whistle. There are lots of plays that start out as marginal (like the OP play) and develop into something more obvious that needs calling.

I'm not totally sure that suggesting a change to your partner during a switch is a good idea. If you want him to get it as shooting you should get to him before he leaves the area to go report and have a brief chat there. Plus given the narrow-minded view of continuation by most coaches I doubt the opposing coach would be very happy in getting your partner to change his call so late on something that looks like NBA-length continuation.

Lead in the OP does need to sell it better, but perhaps it's perfect for the level of play that he desires to work. :rolleyes:

JetMetFan Tue Jul 28, 2015 01:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 965275)
It really is amazing what whistle timing can do for you. I've noticed my call percentages go up as I wait for the play to finish and then decide whether I need a whistle. There are lots of plays that start out as marginal (like the OP play) and develop into something more obvious that needs calling.

I'm not totally sure that suggesting a change to your partner during a switch is a good idea. If you want him to get it as shooting you should get to him before he leaves the area to go report and have a brief chat there. Plus given the narrow-minded view of continuation by most coaches I doubt the opposing coach would be very happy in getting your partner to change his call so late on something that looks like NBA-length continuation.

Lead in the OP does need to sell it better, but perhaps it's perfect for the level of play that he desires to work. :rolleyes:

It's not really suggesting, it's just planting a seed. On the flip side...during a camp I attended this month there was a play similar to the OP. I was T and my partner - who is one of my mentors - made the call at L (3-person). As she walked past me while we're switching she says, so only I can hear, "You have her shooting?" I said yes, she reported it as a shooting foul and we lined them up. No long conversation. One quiet question, one quiet answer. She wasn't completely sure so she asked.